Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Gun Certificates

  1. #1

    Gun Certificates

    Gun certificates for foriegn hunters .

    I think I asked this before but forgot what I was told .

    I will need a different certificate for Scotland , Northern Ireland and the remainder of England ?

    Meaning if I were there and wanted to hunt all three parts I could move relatively freely with my certificate . Or does one need different certificates for each area or guide service ?

  2. #2
    You will need a Visitors Firearms Permit. It is valid for the whole of the UK once granted. You apply for one with the police. Below is a link to the Metropolitan Police which could be useful to you, but I would apply for one through the police that cover the area where you'll do most of your shooting, which might be, for example the Police Scotland, or wherever. You will generally find that the application will be arranged on your behalf if you are booking a shooting break through many organisations or shooting agents. Hope that's helpful.

    http://content.met.police.uk/Site/fi...verseasvisitor

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    You will need a Visitors Firearms Permit. It is valid for the whole of the UK once granted. You apply for one with the police. Below is a link to the Metropolitan Police which could be useful to you, but I would apply for one through the police that cover the area where you'll do most of your shooting, which might be, for example the Police Scotland, or wherever. You will generally find that the application will be arranged on your behalf if you are booking a shooting break through many organisations or shooting agents. Hope that's helpful.

    http://content.met.police.uk/Site/fi...verseasvisitor

    So then it would more then likely be better if I hunted there three different times if I wanted to hunt all three regions rather then trying to carry a gun from place to place ?

  4. #4
    The country you propose visiting, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, comprises England, Scotland and Wales ('Great Britatin'), and Northern Ireland.

    My understanding is that permit as described in the link Pedro has given will work everywhere in the UK except Northern Ireland, which requires a different permit from the NI Police. So in fact moving with firearms between England, Scotalnd and Wales should not be at all problematic.
    If you wanted to include a visit to NI, you'd need to apply for the NI permit in addition to the other one, using this form http://www.psni.police.uk/30-38.pdf

    Have a look here: https://basc.org.uk/firearms/visiting-the-uk-to-shoot/

    I have a very narrow view of the world, but I would strongly recommend having a go at hill-stalking in the Scottish Highlands.
    Last edited by Dalua; 06-04-2014 at 08:01.

  5. #5
    If you've got a visitors permit, then you can carry your rifle anywhere until it expires. If you came over three different times, then the permit would I expect either last for the duration of each visit or perhaps if they were close together time-wise, from entering the UK until final departure. If you're thinking of flying with your rifle around the UK you will also have to take advice about which airline to use and their policies for carrying firearms. But remember the distances aren't as great as in the USA so it may be as good hiring a car and driving.

    To be honest, you'll get great advice here, but if you are thinking of booking an organised hunting trip, the organisers, who do this for a living for people not resident in the UK, whether it be from America, other countries in Europe or elsewhere will not only have all the knowledge, but will do most of the leg work for you and legally keep you right.

    As Dula says, there's some great sport to be had here, red deer in the highlands should be top of your list, there's also lowland stalking for various deer species and other shooting sports that you may want to consider, for example a driven pheasant and/or partridge day (very different to how you would hunt pheasant in the USA) or perhaps a walked up day or some wildfowling (which is similar to what you do). Wild boar or goat are also a possibility, as is fly fishing.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Gun certificates for foriegn hunters .

    I think I asked this before but forgot what I was told .

    I will need a different certificate for Scotland , Northern Ireland and the remainder of England ?

    Meaning if I were there and wanted to hunt all three parts I could move relatively freely with my certificate . Or does one need different certificates for each area or guide service ?
    Something I have done for many years, for many of your fellow countrymen.

    1. You will need someone to sponsor you, the outfitter, booking agent, guide.
    2. You must have no criminal offence
    3. You will need to produce evidence that you hunt in the USA. This can be in the form of a copy of your State Hunting licence, membership of SCI etc.
    4. You will need to supply full details to your sponsor of your address, name, DOB, phone/email address, height, doctors name, address and phone number.
    5. You will need to supply to your sponsor make, calibre, serial number of the rifle you are bringing. Amount of ammo you are bringing.
    6. Self loading rifles are not allowed.
    7. Your sponsor will need to fill in two forms, and give details of where you are using the weapons and for what reason.
    8. Your sponsor will need to assure the police that the weapons are kept safe and secure whilst in the UK.
    9. The forms need to signed by your sponsor and a fee of 12 paid for the Visitors Firearms permit to be issued.
    10. In general it can take up to 8 weeks to process such an application.
    11. The licence if issued will cover all the UK except Northen Ireland where I believe they have a slightly different application process. BUT I may be wrong and stand to be corrected.


    On arrival in the UK you will need to show your Visitors Firearms permit to the customs, and if you have one PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SIGN IT before entering the UK.

    The other alternative is to use the estate rifle system, where upon you may use the rifle/s of a lease holder or landowner providing you are of the right age (17 and over) and are within 50yds of the owner whilst usuing the rifle at all times.

    I hope the above helps, if you need any further advice of help please do not hesitate to contact me via the site or my website.

    Good luck

    Sikamalc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

    ZEISS PRO STALKER.

  7. #7
    I've never had any experience of visitors permits myself but always thought that the sponsor was responsible to a certain extent for a visitors actions when in the U.K. in particular they normally provide the security for any firearms brought into the country?

    Wouldn't it be asking a bit much of the sponsor if the visitor was visiting and shooting with say three different agents in different parts of the country, after all once the guest had left their "control/guidance" they could disappear or fail to ensure that the firearms were secured? Couldn't this possibly leave the sponsor in an awkward position?
    Last edited by 8x57; 06-04-2014 at 09:27.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I've never had any experience of visitors permits myself but always thought that the sponsor was responsible to a certain extent for a visitors actions when in the U.K. in particular they normally provide the security for any firearms brought into the country?
    Wouldn't it be asking a bit of the sponsor if the visitor was visiting and shooting with say three different agents?
    Never had it happen to me yet Mike!! as the clients have always been with me throughout the trip. I would assume it would be down to the initial sponsor who fills in the form. However ultimately it is the owner of the firearms responsibility I would have thought. But if anything happened (god forbid) I am sure the authorities would make a meal of anyone involved.

    If the client is travelling around the UK then I would as a matter of course check with everyone else he is staying with that the security of the weapons would be secure.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

    ZEISS PRO STALKER.

  9. #9
    I might be an untrusting soul but I think that I would do the same Malc, just to cover my own backside. After all I suppose it could affect your own certificate and in your case ability to work.

    I know one stalker who sponsored a Belgium guy some years ago just after the intro of the ban on semi-auto rifles. The guy turned up with a Browning semi-auto and put the stalker in a very awkward position. The Belgium chap simply drove through customs without declaring the rifle.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Something I have done for many years, for many of your fellow countrymen.

    1. You will need someone to sponsor you, the outfitter, booking agent, guide.
    2. You must have no criminal offence
    3. You will need to produce evidence that you hunt in the USA. This can be in the form of a copy of your State Hunting licence, membership of SCI etc.
    4. You will need to supply full details to your sponsor of your address, name, DOB, phone/email address, height, doctors name, address and phone number.
    5. You will need to supply to your sponsor make, calibre, serial number of the rifle you are bringing. Amount of ammo you are bringing.
    6. Self loading rifles are not allowed.
    7. Your sponsor will need to fill in two forms, and give details of where you are using the weapons and for what reason.
    8. Your sponsor will need to assure the police that the weapons are kept safe and secure whilst in the UK.
    9. The forms need to signed by your sponsor and a fee of 12 paid for the Visitors Firearms permit to be issued.
    10. In general it can take up to 8 weeks to process such an application.
    11. The licence if issued will cover all the UK except Northen Ireland where I believe they have a slightly different application process. BUT I may be wrong and stand to be corrected.


    On arrival in the UK you will need to show your Visitors Firearms permit to the customs, and if you have one PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SIGN IT before entering the UK.

    The other alternative is to use the estate rifle system, where upon you may use the rifle/s of a lease holder or landowner providing you are of the right age (17 and over) and are within 50yds of the owner whilst usuing the rifle at all times.

    I hope the above helps, if you need any further advice of help please do not hesitate to contact me via the site or my website.

    Good luck

    Sikamalc
    Something I also do regularly ,most of mine are for Europeans so European pass is required along with application

    Also done a few for USA Citizens, they were also asked to produce a reference from their local Police Chief as proof of good character.

Similar Threads

  1. 1 rifle on 2 firearms certificates at the same time.
    By james243 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 11:20
  2. s**t..... misplaced certificates...
    By 6.5x55 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-12-2013, 23:33
  3. Open Certificates
    By adpierce in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 25-08-2011, 22:43
  4. firearms certificates in northern ireland
    By ireland in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 14:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •