Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which small cal centerfire ?

Which small cal centerfire ?

Hi guys ,
    I'm just renewing my FAC and want to put a small centre fire calibre on. I do vermin /rabbit/fox on a number of farms and one particular ex MOD site where I would like to reach out a bit further on the rabbits but still be able to take fox if required.
    At the mo .17hmr is good but I would like something a bit better in the wind and that I can reach out 2-300yds with. The other thing is I am not 100% happy shooting fox with it, it's not enough gun. .17hmr is not a cheap round , I can probably reload for not far off once set up.
    I am no expert on the different calibres but it seems that 17 rem , 17 fireball and 20 tac are the main ones.

So my question is and I apologies because there are quite a few factors to take into consideration which is best?

The factors that I think are most important are:

1. Availability of rifles
    2. Ease of reloading (availability of components etc)
    3. Ballistics / terminal effect
    4. How noisy are the compared with HMR

Any help and advice much appreciated.

ATB George

17 rem

1, Not so easy to source, a new one has to be built.

2, Easy to reload components readily available

3, Banjo string trajectory to 300yds

4, Very loud muzzle blast easily sorted with a mod.

Fantastic cal for long range vermin control like I said not easy to get unfortunately but worth the effort to find a good used rifle or re barrel a tikka/sako/Remington action..........

Terminal effect devastating for rabbit/corvid/ and fox out to 300yds easily.
    Last edited by dlz90; 06-04-2014 at 08:43. Reason: add information

222 is by far better than any 17

20 tac but then I'm gonna say that
    Regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Not going to dispute the effectiveness of the 222 against the 17 rem but the OP is interested in 17/20cals and the 17 rem is very good for the job I have shot enough with it to know and its deadly, however the 222 is much more readily available another very effective round would be the 204 ruger and that may be the best option of all and superior to the 222 for long range work...

Just a little taster!!

From Shooting Illustrated - The Definitive Source for the Modern Shooter | Shooting Illustrated

The 20-grain AccuTip-V leaving the muzzle at 4,000 feet per second gives the .17 Remington Fireball a trajectory that edges a .22-250 Remington’s 55-grain bullet at 3,900 feet per second. With a 200-yard zero, the .17-caliber bullet drops 5.1 inches at 300 yards, while the .22-caliber bullet falls 6 inches. Notably, the .17 Remington Fireball needs just 20 grains of propellant to get this performance, in contrast to the 36-grain charge required by the .22-250. It’s not only a matter of efficiency; a lighter bullet in front of a smaller charge produces less recoil. The recoil from the SPS Varmint, which weighed almost
    10 1/2 pounds with a Swarovski riflescope onboard, was less than a single foot-pound.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Just a little taster!!

From Shooting Illustrated - The Definitive Source for the Modern Shooter | Shooting Illustrated

The 20-grain AccuTip-V leaving the muzzle at 4,000 feet per second gives the .17 Remington Fireball a trajectory that edges a .22-250 Remingtonís 55-grain bullet at 3,900 feet per second. With a 200-yard zero, the .17-caliber bullet drops 5.1 inches at 300 yards, while the .22-caliber bullet falls 6 inches. Notably, the .17 Remington Fireball needs just 20 grains of propellant to get this performance, in contrast to the 36-grain charge required by the .22-250. Itís not only a matter of efficiency; a lighter bullet in front of a smaller charge produces less recoil. The recoil from the SPS Varmint, which weighed almost
    10 1/2 pounds with a Swarovski riflescope onboard, was less than a single foot-pound.

That's nice and I like it but the 17 rem will push a 25gr bullet at 4040 fps and with a 250 yrd zero drops only 3.1 inch @ 300yds with around 24grns of powder and carries around 250ftlbs of energy at that range more than the 17hmr has at the muzzle this makes 300yrd shots a snap....lol

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    I hear what your saying but I think that the local plod are going to say that is a fox only round and balk at me shooting rabbits etc with it , that's why I thought I would look at sub 22.

Dlz90 I am not against getting something rebarreled so all options open really

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    20 tac but then I'm gonna say that
    Regards pete
    me tooooooooooooooo

you are very lucky to get to shoot on MOD land, i have asked about 10 times and as i have been told its now run by some muppet company called ?

can't say that on here,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    That's nice and I like it but the 17 rem will push a 25gr bullet at 4040 fps and with a 250 yrd zero drops only 3.1 inch @ 300yds with around 24grns of powder and carries around 250ftlbs of energy at that range more than the 17hmr has at the muzzle this makes 300yrd shots a snap....lol

And not forgetting that BIG bang! ... along with a rumoured short life

.17 Fireball: 300yds:remaining energy using 20 grain factory,248 foot pounds,time of flight,0.29 sec, average height of Fox at shoulder 21", drop at 300yds 5.1" sounds like point & shoot to me ..
    Last edited by finnbear270; 06-04-2014 at 09:23.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!