Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mod blowing back?

Mod blowing back?

Hi everyone,

I've got a new Hardy Gen IV mod on a new Sako 85. We noticed that the mod is blowing back and leaving carbon all over the barrel after 3 round groups were fired. The rifle was factory threaded in M14x1 and no one could see any obvious signs of damage to the mod. I just wondered if anyone has had any similar experiences? I spoke to Riflecraft and they said send it back and we'll have a look at it.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    i would try another mod with the same fitting.

end of barrel or reflex etc.

could just be a small error as gasses will find the easiest way out (the point of least resistance etc.)

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    i would try another mod with the same fitting.

end of barrel or reflex etc.

could just be a small error as gasses will find the easiest way out (the point of least resistance etc.)

bob.
    Your right of course Bob but I only have the one mod. Do you think there's any possibility of it being down to the way the shoulder has been cut on the barrel? The reason I ask is that someone said it could be due to this but it's a brand new factory cut job.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roelander View Post
    Your right of course Bob but I only have the one mod. Do you think there's any possibility of it being down to the way the shoulder has been cut on the barrel? The reason I ask is that someone said it could be due to this but it's a brand new factory cut job.
    it could be sir,

the path of least resistance is infact the exit hole, but once the baffles are full the pressure builds just before the bullet enters the mod, and then as it exits the pressure is released with great force, that is the point im m/seconds that the leak will be at its highest, not easy to see but this will show on the shoulder if it is there with blacking marks etc.

what you can do is place the mod back on and then use a film of copper right grease/vaseline, place that around the area/shoulder where mod and barrel meet,

then fire a test shot and this will confirm if you have some kind of issue with them not facing up to each other to form a good seal.

I hope this make sense, if not drop me a pm i can talk guns today as the wifes out all day in gloucestershire.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

A pal of mine had this with a Northstar. He suspected leakage round the thread, but when we firmly shoved an appropriaely-shaved-down plastic wine-cork into the hole where the barrel goes, and raised the pressure inside the mod by mouth, it was noted that the air was indeed escaping - and clearly from somewhere other than around the thread, as that exit was blocked.
    The problem was fixed by the importer, via the RFD who supplied the mod in the first place.

This is an interesting thread

i have a sako 85 but the varmint fluted barrel i use a wildcat p8 mod and i have this problem i replaced all the seals and it made no difference ive gone so far as to consider selling the p8 and getting something thats not
    stripable but in all fairness i havnt given the thread/ shoulder a thaught as its a new ish gun m18x1 i wonder if the shoulders are a un matching design hmmm youve got me thinking now

My new Zonic did, alan rhone were most helpful and changed the spiggot, they even sent stamps with the new part to cover my postaage.

Thanks everyone, there's quite a few good ideas to try there. I'll try the copper slip and the cork too.

John, yes you told me the other night about that one when we got that large buck. When I range Riflecraft I was expecting the same answer but they said they needed to look at the mod first. In the meantime I'm stuck without a mod again and I've got more stalking with you soon

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    This is an interesting thread

i have a sako 85 but the varmint fluted barrel i use a wildcat p8 mod and i have this problem i replaced all the seals and it made no difference ive gone so far as to consider selling the p8 and getting something thats not
    stripable but in all fairness i havnt given the thread/ shoulder a thaught as its a new ish gun m18x1 i wonder if the shoulders are a un matching design hmmm youve got me thinking now
    Hi Markfox,

When I called a certain rifle builder for advice on this, he mentioned it could be the shoulder on the barrel that's not square. It can be easily recut again but then I've got another problem - my 85 is brand new and under warranty so GMK should make good, but then I've got no rifle again! So first things first, I'll test the mod with the cork and copper slip idea to see if is anything obvious with the mod itself. If it is the shoulder I'll be calling the RFD I bought it from to get it sorted.

you could even try a thin fibre or copper washer inbetween,doug,
    DONT START