Thread: 9.3x62 muzzle thread

9.3x62 muzzle thread

Considering which thread to go on a 9.3 barrel. 15x1 is advocated by ASE UTRA but the residual barrel seems quite thin under the relief cut.

Has anyone threaded their 9.3 and if so which thread?

Cheers

G

Absolutely brilliant "Boom" on a 9.3 x 62! What's not to like?

David.
    Last edited by Kalahari; 07-04-2014 at 07:49.

The best thread depends on barrel O/D as well as I/D.
    If the barrel is 16mm or a little more then an M15 with spigot would be the best answer.

Neil.

Yep, OD is 16.7. However, 15x1 with the undercut leaves quite a thin wall (think it worked out at about .071) which when coupled with a heavy, muzzle mounted mod leaves quite a vulnerable section. I get what you're saying wrt a spigot. But the added complication is that it will have iron sights. Don't really want the foresight sitting at the back of a long spigot. Spose I could mount the foresight on the thread protector though.... Could also use 5/8x24 spigoted.... Hummm. Didn't someone on here have a foresight fitted to a thread protector by Steve Kershaw?

Had a rifle threaded in Germany, although 308 the builder refused to put M15x1 on the 16.5mm barrel.
    He cut a groove into the end of the M16x1 thread for a retaining ring DIN471. I first had the retaining ring on and later tried without the ring. Both versions work. The 0.5mm shoulder seems enough, never came loose either.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by zaitsev View Post
    I get what you're saying wrt a spigot. But the added complication is that it will have iron sights. Don't really want the foresight sitting at the back of a long spigot. Spose I could mount the foresight on the thread protector though....
    My CZ 7.62x39 is 15.4mm OD, it is away at the moment having an M14 spigot thread done, along with mounting the front sight on the thread protector.
    It isn't my 1st choice method but it is better than setting it back 30mm.
    As for the undercut, make the undercut as shallow as possible, and remember the undercut will be supported by the spigot, so not as weak as the undercut on a normal thread for a plain muzzle can.
    I have the same thread on my .223 and very happy with it, very easy to fit mod in the dark as well, and no dropping the mod when unscrewing it either, just drop it on the end and spin it down to a stop.

Neil.

can't imagine anything worse than putting a muzzle can on a rifle designed for offhand shooting?

given the headache of foresight position and potential issue with line of sight past the OD of the moderator I am intrigued to know why you think it needs one?

I had a thread cut under the foresight of a rifle I wanted to have the option of both, but its not an "in the field" swap option without the danger of losing screws, foresights etc

foresight is removed with one allen bolt

neat...but as you've said you have to ask why.....

Ok chaps you've asked why. Ask Wayne Davies why he's got a mod on his .375....