Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 375 H+H for the woods

375 H+H for the woods

Hi Peeps

Just downloaded the 375 H+H with 40gn RL7 220gn Hornady FP. The MV is 1971 fps and energy 1998 fpe. Zero @ 25m and 100 beyond that she drops like a brick.
    Should be great for woodland high seat work. Consider it a massive 243 The lower shot is the initial sighter which I always take at 25m. the next two ie zero are @ 25 and 100m. Very accurate round so no need to shoot groups for this excercise. To go to full power load just add 8 clicks up - what could be simpler

Mark

One question, WHY

Thar- here is a sensible answer.

1. It is not sensible to use factory ammo in a 375 or 458 Lott in the UK on deer as the ME are 4122 ftp and 4897 ftp respectively. Both rifles can be safely downloaded to a ME of 2000 ftp which keeps it legal for England.
    2. I can legally possess expanding ammunition for both rifles in the UK. Homeloading allows me to tailor my bullets for optimum performance according to the situation.
    3. Maximum shooting distance in the wood is 100m but most deer are culled at 25-50m. At 300yds it will have dropped about 70" (Sorry for mixing units here).
    4.My 458 Lott can be used for the humane dispatch of wounded or injured animals. Big heavy slow bullets (220-350gn) are good for this.

Question - Have you tried following up a deer with a broken leg in a pine forestry block at night with dogs, rifle and a lamp? If you have you will know that a 308 whatever with moderator, bipod and 12x56 scope is far from ideal,I have tried it.
    A short barrelled properly gun-fitted rifle with low magnification or iron sights is far better balanced and quicker to shoot with, similar to a shotgun. Also it stands less chance of getting snagged in brambles. Some people on this site use a 30-30 for similar reasons.

So in conclusion - because I can

Regards

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH
    Question - Have you tried following up a deer with a broken leg in a pine forestry block at night with dogs, rifle and a lamp?

So in conclusion - because I can
    Mark I have done all the above without problem, but some of the thicket stage plantation I have you have to crawl though, but I think in general we use our dogs differently. Although I don’t see what connection that has with using you down loaded 375 from a high seat.

What advantage does this give you over a 308 in a highseat? I can only see disadvantages.

ATB

Tahr

I don't understand what you are getting at?
    Its not a case of advantages or disadvantages from a high seat, its more a case of 'why not'. People use 243, 7-08, 303, 300wssm, 300 win mags why should a downloaded 375 case a problem?
    Try shooting a fully stoked 375 from a high seat at a fallow that's only 25 m away, once you hearing returns and your shoulder stops hurting.
    I suppose its more a case of 'its nice to use a fine quality rifle' within sensible parameters.

ATB

Mark

You do because you want to be different? Not for any deer welfare issues then.

ATB

Tahr

Thar

It is clear from this series of posts and previous that further explanation in futile. If you don't understand by now I don't expect you ever will.

I was initially under the impression the forum was for sharing experiences and ideas. Intelligent discussion is a good thing.

Since when did 'different' become a crime.

This is my final word, I will post no further.

Mark

Mark,

will you be using copper bullets for this? at what cost per round??

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH
    Thar

It is clear from this series of posts and previous that further explanation in futile. If you don't understand by now I don't expect you ever will.

I was initially under the impression the forum was for sharing experiences and ideas. Intelligent discussion is a good thing.

Since when did 'different' become a crime.

This is my final word, I will post no further.

Mark
    Mark

No need to throw your toys out the pram, I can see no practical advantage that this exercise achieves, and you have failed to enlighten me.

The only reasons you give is “because you can”, or “to be different .” I agree neither is a crime but I can’t see how the exercise aids deer welfare; all it appears to achieve is to put it politely; “give the owner some degree of personal satisfaction.”

The intelligent debate would be, with me only playing devils advocate in a small way, :- should we all strive to kill deer with the most practical and effective equipment possible or just shoot them with anything that is legal.

Tahr