Princess Anne

derek.snr

after those comments on countryfile about badgers shes my hero.she will not be on the antis Christmas card list.

I could be wrong but i think shes a bit more down to earth and a bit more clued up on what goes on in the countryside and whats needed for the future for things to succeed than the rest of the royals

I didn't see the end of the interview, but she's certainly far more forthright than any politician. My wife told me that Tom Heap made a pretty cynical comment about her views after the interview finished.....good old BBC, never fails to reveal its bias on current affairs.

She made some very sensible comments, stuff that a lot of other farmers are scared to say.
You shouldn't have to have security to speak truthfully on the subject but you probably do, and she does.
Good for her.

She's got bigger balls than most! Spoke sense, gassin's the answer, always has been! Get the job done, no need for all the publicity!
Kev.

I admire her willingness to speak out, even if she does enjoy more protection than most, but I think the emphasis on gassing is rather repeating the mistake of assuming that the best way to tackle the problem is to use just one method.

Surely what is needed is to remove the badger's special protection and put it on the general list, enabling it to be shot, snared or trapped, with additional licences available for gassing operations?

Those whose badgers are a problem will get their badgers eradicated, and those who live happily with their badgers will leave them alone, and all at zero cost to the taxpayer.

Last edited:
Surely what is needed is to remove the badger's special protection and put it on the general list, enabling it to be shot, snared or trapped, with additional licences available for gassing operations?

Agreed.

If they became part of the foxers' normal duties the problem would be under control within weeks.

Gassing was never that successful in destroying badgers. When cymag was used they would close the sett. Info I got from my head keeper nearly fifty years ago when he killed badgers before they were protected. It was during the time we were gassing rabbits?

I've never been much of a royalist but I have to say that I like the woman. She's blunt direct and often speaks sense. I quite like her father too mainly because of his sense of humour even if it is often misunderstood or misreported.

I think placing them on the general license is the way to go.

why not?.

are they any different from any other species!. (they spread disease and therefore it makes sense).

Totally agree Tam.
At the end of the day there are enough places in the UK where they wouldn't be controlled and so the chance of completely wiping them out would be very small indeed.

I think placing them on the general license is the way to go.

why not?.

are they any different from any other species!. (they spread disease and therefore it makes sense).

They're not birds though... general license is just for birds, and it's meant to be a last resort after all other methods have been exhausted.

Back to the main discussion - Princess Anne
She has always been the most down to earth Royal and her daughter Zara is too, competing in the Olympics and she married a rugby player. Harry and William have brought the perception of the Royal family up a notch or two, both serving in the forces, numerous fund raising activities and particularly Harry for his wild antics. But my favorite Royal is Philip.... he's a national treasure.

princess Ann with a shrug and a raised eyebrow can put over more sense than Brian May can with a week of ranting

princess Ann with a shrug and a raised eyebrow can put over more sense than Brian May can with a week of ranting

Here's why.... Princess Anne was brought up with it, wheras Brian May has used his acquired wealth to buy into it as is the case with the majority of anti's.
They're not country born but usually townie imports.

Back