Any Bayonet Collectors Out There ?

Bill Wapiti

Hi, anyone out there be able to help me values of the following:
2 x 1907 bayonets, but I'm told they have replacement handles...how you tell I have no idea?
A Garand bayonet, no scabbard....I'm told it is post WW2 but have no idea from its markings....
And finally a No 7 - Sten bayonet ? Black bakerlite handle....
Any help here appreciated....I could email photos....thanks !

Try the treasure bunker in king st glasgow they have a website to get the number from. They are quite good at dating and valuing.

Hi, anyone out there be able to help me values of the following:
2 x 1907 bayonets, but I'm told they have replacement handles...how you tell I have no idea?
A Garand bayonet, no scabbard....I'm told it is post WW2 but have no idea from its markings....
And finally a No 7 - Sten bayonet ? Black bakerlite handle....
Any help here appreciated....I could email photos....thanks !

Are you allowed to bayonet deer in Scotland then? :rofl:

Positively encouraged actually. We have Sgian Dubh level 1 and 2. Level 2 is required on FC land. (Some of you chaps may not know about the Sgian Dubh. It's a very Scottish thing.)

Yes, I collect bayonets, beginning at age nine, when I found one from a Brown Bess musket in the cellar of our old Colonial era farm house. Most of what I have are for rifles I own, to complete them, and same for the dated slings and ammo pouches. What don't have, I have handled, and have a friend who is a real collector, with over 200 bayonets.

I presume you mean a Pattern 1907 Enfield bayonet. I have several, even one for my Aussie .22 LR training rifle. Yes, there is replacement wood out there. And not all of that is illegitimate; for example, say you had a No.1 MkIII used in WWI and in WWII, which maybe had the handle replaced once or twice, and maybe later had a short bayonet. And most are mixed. I do own a No.4. MkII with a new, unused bayonet with matching serial number, but that was just luck on my part to find it.

So, are you looking for some wood, some original military wood, or just wanting to know what you have?

I also collect, on a random basis, fighting knives, starting with my own issued and serial numbered Gerber Mk II, including a couple of U.S. made knives for the British Army in Burma. So if any of you are into that, please share. PM me and send some photos and I will try to help by putting them in front of some collectors and military museum curators.

On the Garand bayonet, there was the original long one, then a shorter one. Scabbards were metal, then fiberglass. And in the 1950s, bayonets for the M1 and M-14 were made under contract by several manufacturers, just as there were M-16 bayonets made in Germany. The U.S. lent M1s to South Vietnam, South Korea, Greece, and other countries, some of whom manufactured or purchased other bayonets.

Since U.S. manufacturers built Enfield No.1s and No.4s, as well as the P-14, they also made bayonets for them.

Back