Caping

6pt-sika

If I'm over there hunting at some place I pay for by the week , room , guide etc and I kill several Sika and or Roe . Is the guide/stalker/gamekeeper going to cape or should I plan on doing it myself ?

I realize the majority of you guys do not get a cape mount like we mostly do in the US , so with that being said is the person who will be overseeing my hunt usually trained in the proper way to cape etc ?

Hi Craig
Pretty sure the Service Provider you go with will be able to sort this for you. If you are able to do your own caping cant see this being a problem - though you will need your 'tools'.
You may also want to establish early on getting the cape exported as this may also need having in place.
Regards, L

Hi Craig
Pretty sure the Service Provider you go with will be able to sort this for you. If you are able to do your own caping cant see this being a problem - though you will need your 'tools'.
You may also want to establish early on getting the cape exported as this may also need having in place.
Regards, L

I think the easiest way to have the cape imported into the USA is to have it tanned first . If I'm not mistaken green hides cannot be brought into the country . Matter of fact it may be better to have the entire mount done before it's shipped here .

Most professional guides will cape for you ,best bet is to have your mount done here, then the guide only needs to skin from behind the shoulders up leaving the head attached, leaving the intricate skinning of the head to the pro doing the mount, that is how its traditionally done here.

Most professional guides will cape for you ,best bet is to have your mount done here, then the guide only needs to skin from behind the shoulders up leaving the head attached, leaving the intricate skinning of the head to the pro doing the mount, that is how its traditionally done here.

I would actually to be honest prefer skinning the animal/animals myself . For a shoulder mount I usually take the entire hide to the taxidermist as you said still attached to the skull . But I like to take them the whole skin so there's never any chance of them not having enough of the hide to make a proper shoulder mount .

I would actually to be honest prefer skinning the animal/animals myself . For a shoulder mount I usually take the entire hide to the taxidermist as you said still attached to the skull . But I like to take them the whole skin so there's never any chance of them not having enough of the hide to make a proper shoulder mount .
Just a thought, but if capeing a beast does this mean you can't then sell it to a game dealer?

That will be an added cost to factor in, once skinned game dealer won't be interested.
I used Claire at freedom taxidermy Freedom Taxidermy by Claire Fowler i caped the roe out to the head and delivered it to her, took about 4 months, she even managed to disguise the cut up the throat, the client changed his mind and said 'i would like it to be mounted' just after i did the cut! You might have heard of him in the states, he is called Dr Deer (James Kroll)

Cheers
Richard

Just make sure whoever does the caping, that they take enough skin off. I usually start about 4" behind the front legs - it's better to take off too much, rather than too little! Experience tells me that the skin doesn't stretch very well. Oh, and another thing, better tell the stalker that you want the beast caped, before they make a great big hole in the front to bleed it ;)

OK I understand what you say but you are likely have the added cost of the carcase if skin completely as it will not be saleable.

I have always found that the game dealer would take them when skinned from behind the front shoulders, even if at a reduced price, it should not be necessary to completely skin the animal, just visualise the finished mount and allow a bit extra, most pros should be able to judge how much to take, if you have any doubt stay with him while he does it to make sure, or if you wish do it yourself.

Just make sure whoever does the caping, that they take enough skin off. I usually start about 4" behind the front legs - it's better to take off too much, rather than too little! Experience tells me that the skin doesn't stretch very well. Oh, and another thing, better tell the stalker that you want the beast caped, before they make a great big hole in the front to bleed it ;)

+1 Also state how you want the neck skinned some cut it up the back which is OK for a wall mount, as most taxidermists can make a more or less invisible joint up the back, but I find its safer to tube skin the neck then its up to the taxidermist how he wants to proceed.

+1 Also state how you want the neck skinned some cut it up the back which is OK for a wall mount, as most taxidermists can make a more or less invisible joint up the back, but I find its safer to tube skin the neck then its up to the taxidermist how he wants to proceed.

About the middle of the rib cage to the nose is enough .

I have in the past a few times circle the rib cage and then skin right on down to the base of the skull like you would take a sock off . But I prefer to do that before the animal is gutted .

That will be an added cost to factor in, once skinned game dealer won't be interested.
I used Claire at freedom taxidermy Freedom Taxidermy by Claire Fowler i caped the roe out to the head and delivered it to her, took about 4 months, she even managed to disguise the cut up the throat, the client changed his mind and said 'i would like it to be mounted' just after i did the cut! You might have heard of him in the states, he is called Dr Deer (James Kroll)

Cheers
Richard

Yep he's a deer biologist from Texas or Alabama don't remmember which . He's on North American Whitetail TV Show and as a matter of fact I think I saw the show when he popped the Roe hunting with you !

So did he seem to be a decent fellow or a ......... ?

Hi, 6pt-sika, you will find it is easier to have the whole mount done in the UK. Most taxidermists will not really be interested in preparing the cape only for it to be sent elsewhere to be mounted (after all, the bulk of the work will have been done) Also, in answer to whether the carcase once caped been unacceptable to the game dealer is not generally the case - at least up here in Scotland anyway, as they all accept them with no problem at all. Pics attached of a couple of medal heads 6pt, that you might be interested in Silver/Gold. Cheers, Bill.

Yep he's a deer biologist from Texas or Alabama don't remmember which . He's on North American Whitetail TV Show and as a matter of fact I think I saw the show when he popped the Roe hunting with you !

So did he seem to be a decent fellow or a ......... ?
You have a pm, and yes he is a nice guy!

We cape out all clients deer if requested, and boil out the heads. Shipping to the USA is something I have done for many years. You will need to make sure of the following.

• Make sure the caped out head is clean of all major muscle and meat
  • Make sure the head is boiled out and completely clean and bleached
  • Make sure your outfitter has the knowledge or knows a taxidermist who can fix and dry the cape.
  • When shipping to the states make sure the trophies are shipped in an appropriate box(wooden as per airline regs)
  • Make sure the shipper sends to a designated port of entry in the States, failure to do this will mean your trophies may be impounded by fish and wildlife in the states
  • Make sure your full name and address is on all the paperwork and that the scientific names are entered on the paperwork of the beasts you have taken.

I handle a good number of trophies every year into the States and have also sent many mounted heads to the states. One of the best importers for trophies in the States is Fauna and Flora on the east coast. Pm me if you need details.

Good luck

Sikamalc
www.ukoutfitters.co.uk

Back