Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (Another) First Roe Buck

(Another) First Roe Buck

Yesterday morning I went out on my ground and shot this buck. Weather was foul, but result was good! Only wondering if I should have left him a bit to shed his velvet, but impatience got the better of me as I have seen quite a few around my orchard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first buck (WL).jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	40315

I would have certainly left him to clean up, that looks a very nice buck there! I no you risk the chance of not seeing him again , but there is no better trophy than a naturally cleaned and coloured up buck , but well done ! He is a cracker , you never no an even better one may take his place !

excellent mate well done .... just clean it up and give it a little light stain in places and it will make a lovely mount

It will make a good mount but a better one if left, BUCK FEVER!

Well done......the memory of your first roe buck will last forever. As for whether you should have left it for a bit longer only you can answer that but personally I would say having taken the decision to cull it then don't let doubts about it cloud the memory!!

Mulac

It does look a very good buck! I wouldnt fret the velvet. Probably 75% of the bucks I shoot are in velvet as i try and get the cull done early and before the cover is up. Deer is only as dead either way and almost nobody keeps all the antlers. If you went out to shoot a deer why the hell would you leave it just because it has velvet?!?!?

If you want it mounting a decent taxidermist will colour them and you will hardly know.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    It does look a very good buck! I wouldnt fret the velvet. Probably 75% of the bucks I shoot are in velvet as i try and get the cull done early and before the cover is up. Deer is only as dead either way and almost nobody keeps all the antlers. If you went out to shoot a deer why the hell would you leave it just because it has velvet?!?!?

If you want it mounting a decent taxidermist will colour them and you will hardly know.

Well done.

must say im with you there... as long as the beast is going to good use so what about the antlers... i like a nice rack but its not main priority

got to agree with you guys to a degree , i am not that into trophy heads , having said that i have a buck on my ground and mid summer i will take him out if he is still there , he is past his best now , but meantime there are plenty of cull bucks to keep me busy , just a foot note if the op decided to measure it for a medal the colour would knock it down a point or two which may be all the differance , i no a guy who missed out on a gold by a fraction and the colour had lost it that place , but well done again ,its a very good first !l

Thanks for all the comments. I originally put in for my variation for a rifle to shoot deer primarily to protect my woods and orchard, so I'm by no means a trophy hunter. Having said that, if it happened to look like it might make the grade (any grade!) I'd probably get it measured.

I plan on skinning the head later in the week and boiling it. From my research it seems like colour is a small part of the scoring, but as Arron said, those few points may make the difference. I'll not cut the head just in case, so I can give it a quick weigh. To be honest, whilst the length is around 26cm and the span is 20cm, the beam doesn't look that thick, so I can't imagine it will meet the weight. But I am definately no expert!

Whatever happens I'll remember it, and be proud of my first buck.

Oh, and as a quick aside, when I shot my first roe doe a couple of weeks back I also glassed a more handsome buck than the one I took!