Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Renting stalking rights cost?

Renting stalking rights cost?

Hi All,
    Perhaps i have been lucky but in over 20 years i have never been asked to stump up cash in advance for deer stalking, until now.
    A 400 acre farm on the edge of Dartmoor with Red and Roe, i believe it hasn't been shot over for at least 15 years and i know there are a good head of red deer in residence.
    The shooting rights for the game shooting will be rented separately to the deer stalking.
    When i first started stalking i was offered cash to sort out the deer, what a turn around, but i can't blame any landowner for trying to squeeze a few extra quid out of their land.
    I have different arrangements with different landowners, some take venison, some cash from proceeds, some take nothing at all, so i am completely in the dark on this one, please pm me if you feel you can't post up details on this thread.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Hi All,
    Perhaps i have been lucky but in over 20 years i have never been asked to stump up cash in advance for deer stalking, until now.
    A 400 acre farm on the edge of Dartmoor with Red and Roe, i believe it hasn't been shot over for at least 15 years and i know there are a good head of red deer in residence.
    The shooting rights for the game shooting will be rented separately to the deer stalking.
    This bit would be the bit that I would be delving a bit deeper into
    depending on the size of the shoot and expected birds they seldom want stalkers paddling around their best woods with "loudenboomenstichs"

to put it in context most leases forestry or otherwise are run on an expected cull figure and a figure applied to each head expected.
    (anywhere from 75-150/200 upwards depending on species, size of lease/land, length of lease, proven cull figures, etc etc)

Obviously without that cull figure you are a little bit in the territory of wet fingers in air and depth of pockets measurement

pitch low and you run the risk of being gazumped, pitch high and you run the risk of feeling fleeced when you don't get the "Value" out of it.
    To me personally this is subjective.
    its not about how much money I can recover from the lease, or how many deer I can shoot.

I would pay a premium to not be legged over and find out others are shooting it, or the number of deer spotted doesn't tie in with the former years "cull figures".
    Just a nice bit of ground that isn't being lamped, long dogged, poached, sub let, etc etc

that is the bit only you can answer

Some very valid points there Bewsher, one of my area's i can't stalk between 1st November until 1st February.
    Thanks
    Richard

From previous experience I would virtually discount cull figures, as in many cases they arnt worth the paper they are written on.

Go to the ground, look for signs of deer and offer what the ground is worth to you . . Ground is worth much more / less to some as it is to others.

I think the only sure way to know is to stalk it for a year and see how things pan out. .
    Last edited by Cadex; 07-04-2014 at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    From previous experience I would virtually discount cull figures, as in many cases they arnt worth the paper they are written on.

Go to the ground, look for signs of deer and offer what the ground is worth to you . . Ground is worth much more / less to some as it is to others.

I think the only sure way to know is to stalk it for a year and see how things pan out. .
    A big + 1
    better still set a few trail cameras for a week .
    norma

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    This bit would be the bit that I would be delving a bit deeper into
    depending on the size of the shoot and expected birds they seldom want stalkers paddling around their best woods with "loudenboomenstichs"

to put it in context most leases forestry or otherwise are run on an expected cull figure and a figure applied to each head expected.
    (anywhere from 75-150/200 upwards depending on species, size of lease/land, length of lease, proven cull figures, etc etc)

Obviously without that cull figure you are a little bit in the territory of wet fingers in air and depth of pockets measurement

pitch low and you run the risk of being gazumped, pitch high and you run the risk of feeling fleeced when you don't get the "Value" out of it.
    To me personally this is subjective.
    its not about how much money I can recover from the lease, or how many deer I can shoot.

I would pay a premium to not be legged over and find out others are shooting it, or the number of deer spotted doesn't tie in with the former years "cull figures".
    Just a nice bit of ground that isn't being lamped, long dogged, poached, sub let, etc etc

that is the bit only you can answer
    A very good post Regards pete

as bewsher says i dont see how you can run a shoot over same land thats a fair bit of disturbance dogs/shooters,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    as bewsher says i dont see how you can run a shoot over same land thats a fair bit of disturbance dogs/shooters,

I have two permissions that are on pheasant shoots,makes no difference at all.......

May I ask why you would want to pay for more stalking ground when you already have various places to stalk that doesn't cost much, especially if it may be fairly limited due to game shooting?

If it were me and I wanted to get a chance to shoot species that are not on my current stalking ground, I would be looking for land not dictated by other syndicates game shooting as they generally aren't the easiest to get along with from what I've heard/read!

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    I have two permissions that are on pheasant shoots,makes no difference at all.......
    only saying how it pans out round me plenty deer but you cant get near for dog walkers and shoot members doing pigeons/sqarerules crows etc, im not slaking the syndicate members as i am one of them ,just wish i could get near the deer,sorry if this interupted the thread,
    DONT START