Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member from Germany

New member from Germany

Dear Deer stalkers,

My name is Marko. I am living in the south west of Germany and I like to stalk game with my 6,5 Mannlicher.
    Does anyone have here a Mannlicher-Schoenauer?

Greetings

Greetings Imper500, welcome to the forum. Don't have a Mannlicher-schoenauer but I would like one! Use a sauer instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Glen of Imaal View Post
    Don't have a Mannlicher-schoenauer but I would like one! Use a sauer instead...
    You're in luck, there's one on here going cheap: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...her-Schoenauer

Herzlich wilkommen, Marko. In welches Land wohnst-du?

Quote Originally Posted by Imper500 View Post
    Dear Deer stalkers,

My name is Marko. I am living in the south west of Germany and I like to stalk game with my 6,5 Mannlicher.
    Does anyone have here a Mannlicher-Schoenauer?

Greetings
    Not anymore my father owned one which I used quite a bit in my youth.

Pine Marten, I like them with a little more timber on the front! I handled a pair of full stocked mannlicher-schoenauers in 6.5x54 recently. They are in a museum collection that will remain nameless but they were nearly coming home with me down each trouser leg!! Mint condition, beautiful actions. Gorgeous rifles!

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Glen of Imaal View Post
    Pine Marten, I like them with a little more timber on the front! I handled a pair of full stocked mannlicher-schoenauers in 6.5x54 recently. They are in a museum collection that will remain nameless but they were nearly coming home with me down each trouser leg!! Mint condition, beautiful actions. Gorgeous rifles!
    They exist in larger calibres too, I see a lot in 7x64 on French websites, and also in 6.5x57, although that's almost certainly a conversion to circumvent the long-standing French prohibition on using military calibres for hunting. That said, 6.5x57 is a great round.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    They exist in larger calibres too, I see a lot in 7x64 on French websites, and also in 6.5x57, although that's almost certainly a conversion to circumvent the long-standing French prohibition on using military calibres for hunting. That said, 6.5x57 is a great round.
    As I said in previous post 6.5x54 has not been legal in Scotland since the mid 1980s due to the standard 160gr
    bullet not making the required muzzle velocity nor muzzle energy, don't know if its possible to home load a lighter bullet that would be legal, my days of shooting 6.5x54 were long before I started home loading.

Its a bit like the other thread thats running at the moment regarding .243 not being heavy enough the 6.5x54 was too heavy to meet the required standard.

At one time it was a very popular calibre with professional Highland stalkers and accounted for many Highland deer

Welcome Marco, where are you in Germany? I have two good friends whom I hunt with that live near to Mannheim.

Waidmannsheil

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    As I said in previous post 6.5x54 has not been legal in Scotland since the mid 1980s due to the standard 160gr
    bullet not making the required muzzle velocity nor muzzle energy, don't know if its possible to home load a lighter bullet that would be legal, my days of shooting 6.5x54 were long before I started home loading.
    Kynamco claim a 2700fps 140gr from a 26" tube http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/6-5MS.htm , although 26" seems a lot of barrel, even for a non-Stutzen.

I suppose home-loaded 120gr might be a better bet for velocity, as long as they didn't mind the great long jump to the lands occasioned by their all being bored for great long 160gr pills.

Anyhow, herzlich wilkommen!