Thread: Remington bolt lifting

Remington bolt lifting

Took my friend out stalking, he has a Remington .243 which he purchased new about 5 years ago, he rarely uses the rifle and i'm unsure which model it is.
    But he has a problem that i have never come across, when a round is chambered and safety engaged, if he catches his clothing on the bolt it lifts!
    Is this a known problem or just with his gun?

Cheers
    Richard

A common thing with certain other designs also I'm afraid. The same thing happens with Anschutz .22 rifles and Parker Hale Midland rifles. Some shooters live with it and others get quite annoyed by it, personally I fall into the latter group.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I never had a real problem with that design, at least the 2 stage safety can be left on safe when loading and unloading. I had a bit more of a problem with my T3 that slips from safe to fire mode after carrying for a while and getting hung on clothes etc. In the meantime I took off the oversized tactical bolt handle and replaced it with a shorter smaller one which might help a bit.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Took my friend out stalking, he has a Remington .243 which he purchased new about 5 years ago, he rarely uses the rifle and i'm unsure which model it is.
    But he has a problem that i have never come across, when a round is chambered and safety engaged, if he catches his clothing on the bolt it lifts!
    Is this a known problem or just with his gun?

Cheers
    Richard
    Richard. It's a known issue. If I am carrying my Remington SA out of the sleeve and am not intending to shoot, I will pull the trigger as I close the bolt on an empty chamber. When roe stalking I carry my right handed rifle on my left shoulder and will occasionally notice the bolt handle has slightly raised. For red deer stalking, my rifle spends most of the time in the sleeve.

Regards JCS

The original Model 700 locked the bolt on Safe. But CNBC, a cable TV network which hates firearms ownership, ran an "expose" on how unsafe the M700 was, because it only had a 2-position safety which did not let you unload the rifle by cycling the bolt on SAFE. Ooooooh. Scary. So Remington changed it. And before that, there were other "exposes" by other networks in the 1980s and 1990s, all claiming to have discovered some huge flaw.

The result of a 10-month investigation, CNBC examines allegations that the world’s most popular hunting rifle is prone to firing without pulling the trigger, and that its manufacturer, Remington, has been aware of the situation for 60 years. Dozens of deaths and scores of injuries have been traced to the alleged problem. The story is told through corporate insiders, internal documents dating back to 1945, and a father searching for answers about the death of his nine-year-old son.CNBC’S REMINGTON UNDER FIRE: A CNBC INVESTIGATION Will Premiere On Wednesday, October 20th at 9PM ET
    You can put the old safety back in the newer rifles, or an entire older trigger.

I like it the old way. And I like the two position safety which locks the bolt on the Steyr Mannlicher, with its flat handle down close against the stock, for working through brush and briers, or climbing mountainous terrain with it on my back.
    Last edited by Southern; 08-04-2014 at 17:34.

Some 700's have a bolt lock mechanism which engages in an indent - I've come across two such rifles in ten years..

I have stalked extensively using M700 based rifles and never really encountered this problem, though I carry the rifles with the bolt facing away from my back….

As many folks as have replaced their Rem 700 trigger with a Timney or Jewell, there have to be plenty of the old ones lying around, which lock the bolt handle in the SAFE position. And these are good triggers which can be adjusted to break cleanly with no creep or over-travel, and they will remain set for decades of shooting. Go ask a gunsmith for one.