Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big day for Britain and Ireland

Big day for Britain and Ireland

The President of Ireland begins a four day trip to the UK today. Doesn't sound like a big deal but it is the first official visit of an Irish head of state to Britain in 92 years since Irish independence. It's about time! For two islands so closely linked its great to see, particuarly after the Queens visit to the Republic two years ago. We can still fight over the six nations though...

It would be nice if during his visit he apologised, for the way soldiers from the republic were treated after they fought for the allies during WW11, and for sponsoring international terrorism via the IRA. And he could also thank the British people for bailing out there Celtic tiger economy . Oh I forgot only we have to apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    It would be nice if during his visit he apologised, for the way soldiers from the republic were treated after they fought for the allies during WW11, and for sponsoring international terrorism via the IRA. And he could also thank the British people for bailing out there Celtic tiger economy . Oh I forgot only we have to apologise.

I understand your opinion but I think its a bit much there Taff. like Glen of Imaal I think its time to move on. This is a hunting form after all.
    We all know its the hierarchy that benefit and the working class that suffer in any conflict.

Glendine

Taff your out of order there are two sides to every story after living here for 30 years i can vouch for that
    the two countries are linked in so many many ways ,it it's great to see political movement that hopefully will put all the anger and hurt where it belongs in the past
    Last edited by landkeeper; 08-04-2014 at 14:17.
    a barony original

Religion and Politics - neither are fit for discussion in a polite society.....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Religion and Politics - neither are fit for discussion in a polite society.....
    Or on a stalking forum!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by Glen of Imaal View Post
    The President of Ireland begins a four day trip to the UK today. Doesn't sound like a big deal but it is the first official visit of an Irish head of state to Britain in 92 years since Irish independence. It's about time! For two islands so closely linked its great to see, particuarly after the Queens visit to the Republic two years ago. We can still fight over the six nations though...
    +1 Like you say it's about time. 92 years is a long long time.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    .....unhelpful and antagonistic , please move on.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    +1 Like you say it's about time. 92 years is a long long time.
    Its not even been 92 months since 2 British soldiers were machine gunned to death whilst picking up a pizza. I am appalled that a known torturer and murderer is being welcomed by the British establishment.

Where is the compensation claim from the families of British civilians and soldiers killed during the Troubles? If it is ok for the British government to have to compensate Kenyan Mau Mau, then surely it is ok for the Irish to do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by dave1372 View Post
    .....unhelpful and antagonistic , please move on.
    I wonder if all the people who have lost loved ones from the actions of the IRA have moved on?
    For sure the ones who were killed have never had the chance....

Tim.243