Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 Taking Printed 'Deer Season Card' into exam.

Unhappy DSC1 Taking Printed 'Deer Season Card' into exam.

Hi,
    Sorry if this has been covered before but I've come across a post in Guntrader saying you can do the exam with a card with the deer season dates on. [Google 'Guntrader dsc1 and deer seasons' to see it]

No part of the test worries me as much as this.
    The dates worry me a lot!

I'm dyslexic and will certainly not be able to recall these numbers at all, especially in a test situation.

I have to say as a part of a test I find their inclusion baffling (trying to be polite here) as I'm not going to randomly wander round with a deer caliber rifle taking shots at deer anyway. I'll go out to my permissions to either shoot Roe or Fallow and will be able to see the calender before I go out so really don't understand why time is wasted on this when I'd much rather it was spent on additional fieldcraft, the stuff one can't just learn from a book or memorise, the stuff as a novice stalker I really need to know, not have a ridiculous date memory test.

Also I live in Devon, have never been to Scotland and will certainly never be able to afford to go up there to shoot. If I did however will I be able to randomly wander round with a rifle out of season by myself taking pot shots at Deer? [That was sarcasm befor I get trolled] So what IS the point in testing my date memory?? Making me thing that I should just not bother with training at all if this is what it's about.

Can someone tell me if this is true or not.

Mark i really cannot comment on if its allowed or not and others in a better position will be able to tell you ,what i will say is don't let it worry you and get hung up on the dates too much, you won't be asked many questions on this area but hopefully this might help abit, good luck for the dsc1, atb wayne
    DSC1 How to remeber seasons and dates?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Mark I don't think it would be appropriate but do think you are worrying about nothing you will be lucky if one question is about seasons and you already know most Fallow and Roe (Big Deer little Deer)

I wouldn’t worry too much about dates as even if you do get asked for them the pass mark is such that it allows for a few mistakes.

As you rightly observe its very simple to keep a small crib card in your staking jacket pocket to avoid in-the-field mistakes!

Good luck

K

England:
    FALLOW/SIKA
    M: Aug 1stApr 30th
    F: Nov 1stMar 31st
    ROE
    M: Apr 1stOct 31st
    F: Nov 1stMar 31st

theres a iphone app called deer data thats got them on as well as a brief insight into each deer and there various phases throughout the year its handy and cheap but its not enough on it to pass dsc1

Thanks Guys,
    I'm a 'good study' and would expect to get pretty much all questions right other than dates.
    So if I can get them all wrong and still pass then the written tests will be OK.
    I've always had to try harder than others to get the pieces of paper I have when it comes to rote memory stuff.
    I'm good at understanding things though (Good at physics rotten at Latin lol).
    Where did the guys on guntrader get the "you can take a 'dates card'" from though?
    Maybe because of my dyslexia I like to 'ace' tests' just to show the Headmistress that used to beat me every Friday before home time for failing the weekly spelling test or and the History dates test....even though she dies years ago. (Oh dear I'll go put my straight jacket back on ;-))

Quote Originally Posted by marklestrange View Post
    Thanks Guys,
    I'm a 'good study' and would expect to get pretty much all questions right other than dates.
    So if I can get them all wrong and still pass then the written tests will be OK.
    I've always had to try harder than others to get the pieces of paper I have when it comes to rote memory stuff.
    I'm good at understanding things though (Good at physics rotten at Latin lol).
    Where did the guys on guntrader get the "you can take a 'dates card'" from though?
    Maybe because of my dyslexia I like to 'ace' tests' just to show the Headmistress that used to beat me every Friday before home time for failing the weekly spelling test or and the History dates test....even though she dies years ago. (Oh dear I'll go put my straight jacket back on ;-))
    The DSC1 multiple choice test does rather encourage such an approach as distinct from the NEBOSH (NGC1) written exam, as but one example, where the questions are pitched to ensure candidates have attained full knowledge of the whole syllabus rather than simply learning the answers to known questions.

K

Hi Mark, you should have two maybe three dates questions in the whole of the test. If you got them all wrong you still have some room to mess up a few others and still pass. I remembered two key bits of info. In England the big boys (Fallow, Sika and Red) are Aug to Apr (A to A) and in Scotland the female season closes on 15 Feb (the day after Valentine's).

Don't get hung up on revising every aspect of the manuals for the test, remember a couple of things and you should be fine even if you guess any other answers. You can usually knock one off straight away as it doesn't look right to you, that leaves three possible answers and a 33.33333% chance of getting it right.

Don't sweat it, keep a clear head and take the questions at your own pace.

Markle

The issue does come up quite often - dont worry about asking though because I guarantee you are not the only one with the query.

None of the DSC1 Assessment elements are 'open book' - ie no data cards, season notes etc allowed.

But as others have said, keep in mind that Season questions will account for a small number of the qu's asked and there will be bias between Highland and Lowland papers. If you are sitting in the West Country, you wont be given the Highland paper.

Without prying, do make sure that your centre is aware of your dyslexia. All Assessors are trained/ briefed to ensure candidates get a level playing field and will have things they can do to make sure you aren't disadvantaged - nor made to feel singled out.

The link posted above by mereside is good and there are various mnemonics floating about to help recall areas like seasons, ballistic data etc. Best approach is to find what works for you.

Where do these things - like taking dates cards into exam etc come from? Various reasons. In no particular order nor guarantee of factual accuracy, I suspect - 1. general anti DMQ sentiments have given rise to all kinds of conspiracy theories; 2. Procedures have changed over the years; 3. There have been instances of individuals not administering Assessments properly in the past - current instances are rapidly picked up by the same verification system that can drive people crackers at the delays; 4. Helpful, but unknowledgable people trying to be 'helpful'. The list goes on.

SD is a great resource and always good to get such queries out in the open - but always keep in mind that your very best source of information is the centre with which you are training/ sitting the test - from the horses mouth etc
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Again thanks for the reply,
    I don't mind mentioning my Dyslexia on a forum but never do when at work or anywhere else as I'm in the generation that didn't get free computers (as they didn't exist then) or extra time in exams, and managed to get a degree a masters and a PGCE without help or declaring it so I'll manage this. I just woke up stressed after paying all the money then freaking that I'd fail on something stupid like dates.
    Thanks guys, must be the wrong time of the month lol.