6x42 scopes still popular ?

Hales Smut

I have a few 6x42 scopes. Two brand new ones and one as good as new, but I have the impression being outdated. Almost nobody seems to use them anymore.
They are light and can be mounted low on the rifle. Still plenty of stalkers using them in the U.K. ?

I have a few 6x42 scopes. Two brand new ones and one as good as new, but I have the impression being outdated. Almost nobody seems to use them anymore.
They are light and can be mounted low on the rifle. Still plenty of stalkers using them in the U.K. ?

Nothing wrong with them at all, and don't let the kit bigots convince you otherwise ;)

willie_gunn

I still use a s+b 6x42 that I bought second hand nearly twenty years ago. It has made in West Germany on it so that ages it a bit! Glass is still brilliant and in low light it stretches past my swarovski els. Not a bad buy all those years ago!

Have 2, did have three but the Meopta was changed to a swarovskie 4-12x50 AV. - this stays at 6power. I have used 12 power a couple of times when zeroing to check my groups. I shot one buck at 12 power, but at 100 yards I don't like small field of view, thus when stalking it stays at 6.

For Long range vermin a 12 power is probably useful. But other than that a fixed 6x42 is light weight, compact, robust and very good value for money. For big game a 1.5-6x42 would be a good alternative, but if your eyes are reasonable those open sight thingys are probably just as good for short range work if needs be.

If you want rid of one of them, I'm looking for an S+B (may consider others) but keep finding them already sold on here! That must tell you something.

You can keep all your twisty knob zoom this parallax that when it comes to stalking .Non zoom 6 or 8 times mag and no frills good glass is what counts and your ability to use it . No wondering if you clicked up down right left last time out , just check zero and go --- simples !:old:

I use a 3-12x50 scope, as much because it was part of the combo I bought as for any other reason. Most of the time, it sits at 7. I have once used it ramped up to 12 for a longish shot at last light on a muntjac, and on occasion taken it down to maybe 4 or 5. In practice, I think that fixed 6x or 8x magnification would be fine for 90% of situations. The variable magnification just gives a few more options, which perhaps becomes less important as one's ability and confidence grows. If I bought another scope now, I may well choose the 2-8x42 version. 8x magnification is actually plenty, I didn't need that 12x the other time, it was just a confidence booster. And it would be a lighter, more compact scope, better suited to occasional close range shooting like driven boar for instance.

Used variables on all my rifles for probably 20 years now, yet I'm just about to buy a wee 6x42 Zeiss from a friend to put on a 222....

Ill keep that one simple!

Power is everything!
sstforsnow.jpg

K

A decent 6x42 scope will do 99% of the hunting jobs you may encounter in the UK.

Quite possibly but 24 power sure helps you see the BSRC 'Buck' 10 ring even when the hole that appears is in the 9!

K

Are you likely to participate in the club match on Star Wars Day (May 4th)? Because I intend to be there for a change. YPM and Mrs PM will be in Normandy quaffing calvados for YPM's great grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary.

Are you likely to participate in the club match on Star Wars Day (May 4th)? Because I intend to be there for a change. YPM and Mrs PM will be in Normandy quaffing calvados for YPM's great grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary.

Got to go there at some point before the trip to Norway as the Team requires use of my UK Baggage Handling-proof Peli cases.

K

Got to go there at some point before the trip to Norway as the Team requires use of my UK Baggage Handling-proof Peli cases.

K

Good Lord, we may actually meet IRL then as they say on proper social media. I've also arranged to collect all the remaining reloading gear that I need on that day, including important accessories like powder. So you can then see that slowly, at my own pace, I'm moving towards reloading. Actually it's not really my own pace, it's more than I am no longer the pacemaker.

Got a sb 6x42 for the next 308 in the mean time it's in hibernation ! Poss to be put on the rimmy .
norma

Back