Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: important question on deer stalking opportunity

important question on deer stalking opportunity

i know of someone with a new ticket that has deer on his ticket and plenty of ground for it and he wants to know if he can take other people out stalking for the opportunity without doing his dsc 1 or 2 or if theres any legal requirements he needs to meet im fussy about my land but hes not lol

Nothing to stop him from doing so, no legal need to have DSC1 or 2 but it might be wise to consider the insurance considerations especially if he is charging for it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

right ok. yea i know he has insurance so il mention it to him many thanks

Unless he owns the land he would surely have to clear it with the landowner too. I don't think the owner would like it if random guests were appearing without his permission or prior clearance / working out a deal.

oh yes the landowner is happy for us to do so as long as there dealt with as there a big problem for him

Quote Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
    oh yes the landowner is happy for us to do so as long as there dealt with as there a big problem for him
    I gather it is you and "your friend" that will be taking clients out.

As mentioned previously, there is no legal requirement for DSC1 or 2 for you you take paying guests in England and Wales, but you should consider it, especially if you end up with carcasses that you wish to sell on, as you required by law to be a "trained hunter" if you want to supply venision to the food trade / game dealer (meat for friends/ family/ personal consumption you are fine). As soon as you start taking paying clients/guests you open up whole new area of legislation as you are officially a service provider, so will be covered by HSE, tax, insurance and other liabilities. make sure you have public liability insurance and written permission from the landowner. Make sure you cover your arse, if you do it for long enough, there WILL be times when things go tits up.

Also make sure you know what you are doing, it's not just a case of wandering around with a rifle shooting the odd deer.

Good luck

ah no sorry to confuse my mates not on the stalking directory so i said il ask as i was not sure , i like stalking myself i dont want any part of it i got my own land for deer stalking and beeing mentoured as well as doing dsc1 and 2 i doing it all properly thankyou tough il let him read post lter tonight

The other thing your mate will need to consider is how much ground does he have, if he wants to go semi/ professional he will need at least 3000 acres and will have to establish a management plan otherwise he could either fill his pockets and kill everything or drive the deer off by disturbing them too much.

Would you need Commercial Insurance if theres money changing hands..

Quote Originally Posted by news of the world View Post
    Would you need Commercial Insurance if theres money changing hands..
    Yes it's unlikely that his normal insurance through his shooting association will cover him for commercial activities.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.