Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rx.helix

Rx.helix

Hi does anyone have any views on the Merkle helix rx . Thinking of one for driven boar in .300 win mag.

I got to handle one the other day at Dauntsey guns, I am officially in love. Seemed nicer than a Blaser , proper mag, scope rail, less clunky . Am going to have to start saving up!

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    I got to handle one the other day at Dauntsey guns, I am officially in love. Seemed nicer than a Blaser , proper mag, scope rail, less clunky . Am going to have to start saving up!
    I've had one pointed at me (and it was pointed at a number of other folk too). I wasn't best impressed with operator having a rifle that the bolt couldn't be removed from. A breech flag could be used, but alarm bells will ring each time I encounter a rifle like this for the rest of my days.

Secondly, I want to be able to confirm the bore is clean and clear before I fire a rifle and that it is clear after I have finished firing it.

I wouldn't touch a rifle like this with a barge pole.

Regards

JCS

I think it's a nice rifle, would love to have one. This would be my first choice for boar as it is very quick off the mark. Only alternatives for me would be a double in 9.3x74R or an underlever in 45/70.
    Let us know how you get on if you buy a Helix.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I wasn't best impressed with operator having a rifle that the bolt couldn't be removed from. A breech flag could be used, but alarm bells will ring each time I encounter a rifle like this for the rest of my days. Secondly, I want to be able to confirm the bore is clean and clear before I fire a rifle and that it is clear after I have finished firing it.
    I take it you'd not go near any kind of semi-automatic rifle or shotgun, either.

As you suggest, additional care over safety is the price to be paid for speedy reloads in all such designs, and in this respect the Merkel RX Helix and Browning Maral are no different from self-loaders.

Given that rifles such as the Blaser R8 and R93, and the Heym SR30, offer both speed and easy bolt removal, however, I know which I'd choose.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Here's my take on the Merkel helix and before i start i have played with one and think its a very nice rifle. I think that there is nothing the Merkel Helix or the Browning Maral can do that can't be done with a normal bolt action rifle. Of course it takes practise to be fast with a bolt action but then again the same applies to the Merkel and the browning.
    I've seen a chap shoot and reload a blaser that had to be seen to be believed.
    I blame it on the Videos of young Franz bowling over boar. How many of us are going to be lucky enough to shoot places where they show that number of boar. Plus the lad shoots with a bolt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Here's my take on the Merkel helix and before i start i have played with one and think its a very nice rifle. I think that there is nothing the Merkel Helix or the Browning Maral can do that can't be done with a normal bolt action rifle. Of course it takes practise to be fast with a bolt action but then again the same applies to the Merkel and the browning.
    I've seen a chap shoot and reload a blaser that had to be seen to be believed.
    I blame it on the Videos of young Franz bowling over boar. How many of us are going to be lucky enough to shoot places where they show that number of boar. Plus the lad shoots with a bolt gun.

You've got it.

I handled one a while back

Short of the impressive barrel removal mechanism I was singularly unimpressed with the engineering of the bolt and its operation.
    If they could incorporate that barrel removal into a smooth operating bolt action they would have a phenomenal switch barrel competitor to blaser

but I am afraid if up against them as a straight pull candidate they didn't measure up

Hi mate yeah I've just bought one myself comes on Monday. In 300 win mag from swillington shooting supplies got a mo3 in 300 win aswell but just wanted to buy another toy to play with. They look pretty good to me so I'd say go for it. Got really good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I've had one pointed at me (and it was pointed at a number of other folk too). I wasn't best impressed with operator having a rifle that the bolt couldn't be removed from. A breech flag could be used, but alarm bells will ring each time I encounter a rifle like this for the rest of my days.

Secondly, I want to be able to confirm the bore is clean and clear before I fire a rifle and that it is clear after I have finished firing it.

I wouldn't touch a rifle like this with a barge pole.

Regards

JCS
    Reading this reminded me of the story that Roger Buss told me about nearly being shot by a continental chap carrying a Blaser 93. Seems the chap despite the 93's safety features managed to fire it when slung from the shoulder, muzzle was pointing at an angle but mainly downwards, the bullet went through Rogers jacket near the hem and his trousers leaving a burn on Rogers leg ......................................... the bullet did not penetrate luckily.

Roger never trusted those with Blasers afterwards for many years......... Last time I saw Roger was about 17 years ago and of course he has passed now like a lot of the old characters.. .
    Last edited by Brithunter; 12-06-2014 at 07:06. Reason: typo