Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady GMX in 243 reloads

Hornady GMX in 243 reloads

Greetings
    I am in the process of trying to get 'green' in my stalking.
    Has anybody tried to reload using 80g GMX bullets to deer legal muzzle energy?
    Velocity needs to be somewhere above 3100.
    I prefer to use Vhitavouri powder if possible but open to suggestions.

I wouldnt hold your breath lol you will have answers like its no point asking such questions because everyones rifle is different to yours so no point asking! Ha ha.
    I however believe such discussion is worthwhile because it gets you near a good load without wasting more hard earned than necessary
    And if we can't ask such questions whats the point of a forum.
    Rant over. PEACE 👍

I also started using the 80gr GMX and found that the sweet load for my rifle (Tika T3 with 20" barrel) was 41.6 gr of 414. I was constantly getting very small in some cases touching 3 round groups. I did not get as far as using the crono due to a couple of points. 1. The bullets at the time were hard to come by. 2. The amount of ricochet I was getting was unbelievable. I used the exact same area I always used for zero practice and cant say I have ever experience a single ricochet when using the normal SP bullets.

Blunderbust many thanks for that load. I have not tried 414, have tried Ramshot Hunter but stuff is a PIA to load such small ball size, have tried N140 but cant get the speed. Agree with richochets these bullets do deform like 22RF when they hit something hard and petals come off.

Nicholiath thanks for that there are always those ready to criticise without really understanding the question.

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Nicholiath thanks for that there are always those ready to criticise without really understanding the question.
    Thats right.
    I often find myself writing a new post with a question, and then find my finger hovering hovering over the submit button! Should I submit or not?
    Now we shouldnt feel like this surely?
    Unfortunately I think that some understand the question completely but can't help but criticise and preach! A bit like the old boy leaning on the counter in the gun shop who shoots 400 yd foxes with his hmr lol!

Believe it or not I am a really happy go lucky person. 😁😆☺

Thanks for that I may try some N160 and already have a pot of H4895. Problem I have is Hodgdon max load for H4895 is 34.8gr when this site quotes 38gr thats a hell of a lot more powder.
    I could well load some H4895 and put over chrono.

I put 15 GMX through my rifle three days ago, it took 5 doses of Sweets to clean all of the copper fouling from the barrel. Today I put another 10 through it and it took 4 doses of Sweets to clean all of the fouling. I dont think I'm going to use them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    I put 15 GMX through my rifle three days ago, it took 5 doses of Sweets to clean all of the copper fouling from the barrel. Today I put another 10 through it and it took 4 doses of Sweets to clean all of the fouling. I dont think I'm going to use them anymore.
    So much for your green credentials and going green mate, using all those chemicals.
    I think that after what you said I will resist the temptation to try them.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.