Sako 17hmr Cleaning Advice Please

bryn

Have just bought a Sako Quad 17hmr (new) and reading the instructions it says not to use a brush of any kind which I have not heard of before.
So anyone out there who has one, I would appreciate your advice and an insight to your cleaning routine please,

Thanks
bryn

Have just bought a Sako Quad 17hmr (new) and reading the instructions it says not to use a brush of any kind which I have not heard of before.
So anyone out there who has one, I would appreciate your advice and an insight to your cleaning routine please,

Thanks
bryn
You might not like the answer but,clean the mod wipe everything over then put away till next time dont clean the bore no need,atb doug, its a rimmie

I use a bore snake pull through and mop head to the lands area prior to pull through and a wipe over on my quads, that's all folks :D

use a bore snake maybe twice a year for no real reason other than I think I should as accuracy never suffers. Takes another 10-15 rounds to get back its accuracy once cleaned though so don't know why I bother!

Not worried about fouling then from carbon or copper? Just interested as I thought these might be an issue. I don't have a 17 but I never clean my .22lr. Just assumed a .17hmr shooting copper jacketed rounds much quicker would require a cleaning regime?

I use wipe out patch-out & accelerator. Followed by a patch dampened with methylated spirits to remove residue. Then a few dry patches.

I do this for all my rifles and have perfect return to zero on the first shot. Would love to take credit but it was one of the old hats on here who rarely posts who mentioned it - superb tip.

I know plenty of ppl who never clean with no issues in terms of accuracy but doesn't sit well with me for my rifles personally.

I clean my rifles after every outing (Sako Quad HMR/.22 and Sako A7). Patch with Klenzoil first, then up to 5-patches (depending on how many rounds I've fired in that session) with cleaning rod until almost clean, then patch with KG12 copper cleaner and 2-3 more cleaning patches to finish. If unlikely to be using for a while, another patch with Klenzoil before popping into the cabinet.

The HMR is a rimmie, but its also a jacketed round. I found with mine that after a few hundered rounds I would either get get the odd flyer, or the groups would open up. Id then pull it through and it would be fine for another 20 to 50 rounds and then it would chuck out flyers and the groups would open up again.

So because I was getting this roller coaster of accuracy I got the brushes out and gave it a proper clean like I would a centrefire. The groups shrunk to the extent it was almost all going through the same hole.

I know plenty of people that have never cleaned their HMR and they seem fine, but they all seem to have bouts of inaccuracy, which is blamed on a variety of things (normally ammo).

personally (and Im not saying Im right!) I keep mine clean.

The HMR is a rimmie, but its also a jacketed round. I found with mine that after a few hundered rounds I would either get get the odd flyer, or the groups would open up. Id then pull it through and it would be fine for another 20 to 50 rounds and then it would chuck out flyers and the groups would open up again.

So because I was getting this roller coaster of accuracy I got the brushes out and gave it a proper clean like I would a centrefire. The groups shrunk to the extent it was almost all going through the same hole.

I know plenty of people that have never cleaned their HMR and they seem fine, but they all seem to have bouts of inaccuracy, which is blamed on a variety of things (normally ammo).

personally (and Im not saying Im right!) I keep mine clean.

I think that's probably the route I shall take in that I will give it a clean after a couple of hundred rounds or when the accuracy starts to drop, which ever is sooner,
bryn

I dont always clean mine as such, I spray some WD40 down the barrel then push through a wipe to smoothen off the residue ten once ever month or two run the brushes through but not hard or harsh just a quick run through..

Not worried about fouling then from carbon or copper? Just interested as I thought these might be an issue. I don't have a 17 but I never clean my .22lr. Just assumed a .17hmr shooting copper jacketed rounds much quicker would require a cleaning regime?
No. not for me anyway, the times I have cleaned mine never once seen traces of copper or any amount of carbon to worry about.

I don't have a strict cleaning regime in mine either. Sometimes I will put a rod through with a brush and bit of solvent followed by a couple of patches and then maybe a wet patch followed by a couple dry ones, other times I will just clean the moderator and put the rifle away. I have not noticed any fouling, only a lot of powder on the mod. This definitely needs disassembling and cleaning every time. The amount of black stuff that it collects even after 50-100 rounds is unreal...

Back