Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coca cola

coca cola

hi all heard a very interesting thing today a friend was telling me today when he was in the army they used to clean their guns or certain parts in coca cola true or false ?????? anyone trued this??? not necessarily going to try it but does it work

be ok for the drains, doug
    DONT START

Maybe, some sort of acid in coca cola I believe, never tried cleaning guns with it but I have used it to clean up oil spills oily engine blocks etc. you can get a litre of supermarket coke for about a quid a lot cheaper than a can of gunk which is made for the job (cleaning car engines) I got this tip from a RAF mechanic so there might be some truth in what you have been told.

Established Poster
    He's probably talking about the 'gas plug' in the SLR. A right bugger to clean as it's a narrow slot and Army rules forbade any solvents etc. - you had to scrape the carbon out. Personally, I used to use sandy soil and a match stick but vinegar was also known to work, unfortunately that could be smelt during weapons inspection...

Quote Originally Posted by Dollydip View Post
    hi all heard a very interesting thing today a friend was telling me today when he was in the army they used to clean their guns or certain parts in coca cola true or false ?????? anyone trued this??? not necessarily going to try it but does it work
    Drop a tarnished penny in a glass of it.... And see what you drink!!!

yes it phosphric acid in coke the old chap used to drive lorries and sometimes transported coke concentrate he said if it leaked out it used to eat the chassis of the lorry away .

ive seen the penny in the coke and useing tomato ketchup on coins too .. yes i think he was talking about a gas plug ......

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Maybe, some sort of acid in coca cola I believe, never tried cleaning guns with it but I have used it to clean up oil spills oily engine blocks etc. you can get a litre of supermarket coke for about a quid a lot cheaper than a can of gunk which is made for the job (cleaning car engines) I got this tip from a RAF mechanic so there might be some truth in what you have been told.
    so does it clean engines etc any adverse effects to hoses etc

In Africa best way to remove old rusted tight cylinder heads old old tractors and Landrovers is to make a small dam with some clay with some clay around each cylinder head nut - poor in some coke (available everywhere) and leave for 24 to 48 hours and the whole lot comes apart easily. Better than any easing fluid!

Yip used to use it to clean the gas parts but found the cheaper coca cola worked best but when it came to the GMPG a large wire brush was the way ahead lol.