Thread: Ranges

Ranges

At what ranges are deer typically taken in the UK? Is it like here in the US where shots beyond 200yds are the exception? I know guys claim farther distances and it does happen but most deer are taken with that range.

SS

"Typical" ?
    On the larger species, & on the hill (i.e. open moorland) few sportsmen would take a shot beyond 250 - 300 yards. The ethic is to stalk in as close as possible so the errors arising from the variables of wind, differential elevation, aching limbs, cold fingers. etc. can be reduced to the minimum for a humane kill. Suspect average something around 150 yards...?
    Woodland shots taken in quite different conditions of close cover ( & usually on smaller animals ) probably average 60-70 yards? Along field margins from a comfy rest/high seat on a target the size of a roe deer would probably not be taken by a true sportsman beyond 150 - 200 yards. Even if a hoodie crow can be taken at a lasered 317 yards with a 22-250!
    (Unfortunately there are those who claim long shots as if they deserve some sort of special recognition....)

Over the years I've kept a journal or ledger of all the deer I've killed .

Everything I've killed in Virginia , Maryland , Pennsylvania and Alabama have averaged a shade under 50 yards . Only killed 4 or 5 in Virginia over 150 yards . When I went to Montana I laid out a pair of Mule deer both at 200+ yards .

Frankly ranges will be anything from 40yds to 300yds depending on what deer species and habitat it's in. Open hill in Scotland can be out to 300yds, but the exceptional shot rather than the rule. If there's no cover on the ground to get closer and the shot is 'on', no reason not to take it - subject to ability of both rifle/ammunition and pilot!
    More usually an 'open hill' hind will be shot out to 150-220yds

I'd say 70-120yds will be the common range span for nearly all species of deer taken in the UK. ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 09-04-2014 at 06:31.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

These few responses support my premise that a magnum of some sort is not really required for most hunting in the US or the UK. Most hunters are better served by using a reasonable and efficient chambering between 6mm and 8mm and practicing. This along with perfecting their range estimation and wind reading skills. Personally I like the 308 but then I was in the military for 27 years...

SS

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    These few responses support my premise that a magnum of some sort is not really required for most hunting in the US or the UK. Most hunters are better served by using a reasonable and efficient chambering between 6mm and 8mm and practicing. This along with perfecting their range estimation and wind reading skills. Personally I like the 308 but then I was in the military for 27 years...

SS
    To be 100% technical , there is no "need" for any cartridge to shoot deer or any other animal in the USA and has not been for a good 75 or so years as the need to hunt to survive pretty much left the equation .

However the "want" to hunt etc etc has not .

I am an advocate of short action cartridges , long action cartridges and magnum cartridges . I'm also an advocate of shooting deer with cast bullets , buckshot , sabot slugs , muzzle loaders and archery .

Bottom line , as long as I enjoy what I'm doing it's fine with me . What you do or how you do it is of no ones concern except yours as long as it's legal . And if you don't get caught the legality thing kinda goes out the window .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    To be 100% technical , there is no "need" ..... And if you don't get caught the legality thing kinda goes out the window .
    Two thoughts:

1. I didn't use the word "need", I did write "required" but that was qualified. Big difference in word usage.

2. So you are ok with doing illegal things as long as you don't get caught?

SS

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    Two thoughts:

1. I didn't use the word "need", I did write "required" but that was qualified. Big difference in word usage.

2. So you are ok with doing illegal things as long as you don't get caught?

SS
    If you feel the need to lets say use a 223 REM to kill deer in some states it's not legal however if you weren't caught it is what it is .

I'm not saying do it or don't do it . But if you do , do it and aren't caught then as I said the legality thing kinda is a moot point .

I will say this !

If I ever find an affordable 8 gauge side by side I'll make buckshot loads for it and I WILL kill a deer with it legal or otherwise .