Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Myths, Lies, and old Wifeys Tales

Myths, Lies, and old Wifeys Tales

Over the last couple of weeks like everyone else I have been doing pest control , most of it has been real fun but it has been hard work.

So far count for me
    In 4 weeks foxes - 4
    In two days - 26 crows Mix between hoodies and rooks,
    In four weeks - 20+ Rabbits ( bear in mind really not been wanting to shoot the rabbits is there is not that many anyways)

However on the course of my last months worth of pest control ( couldnt really call it a full months work as took a lot of time off as wife had a wee baby girl ) I have come across so many old wifey tales and myths and worst of all lies on what we can and cannot do under general License. Lies mainly from the police officers that don't know. so here is my list.

Tying a fox to the fence wards foxes off the farm - Well if this is this is supposed to work then it don't on my permission, before I started the boys at the farm took a "charlie" and tied it to the fence and it is still there, not my fox not my problem to be fair, now all four foxes I have shot have been within a field or so away from where it is tied. I think this myth is designed for the lazy keeper or farmer who thinks if he shoots one fox he doesn't need to shoot anymore.

Tying dead hoodies to the fence - again as above.

Lies questioned on other farm recently by new police officer - Shooting Hooded Crows is Illegal, using Larsen and cage traps are illegal, you need a special license to shoot foxes at night, pigeon and magpies are illegal to shoot also..... Codswollop , farmer in the other glen was telling me this yesterday he had to go to the station in Inverness to get this rectified as we are all in the height of the lambing and things like hoodies do danger to Livestock so it is under general lisence in Scotland (no idea about anywhere else but I presume the same).

What weird myths and old wife tales have you lot heard???

Not so much a wifey tail but ...........

Kent Police FLO:

“You need to have evidenced boar on a piece of your ground to get the condition” (put back) on renewed ‘open’ FAC.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
    Tying dead hoodies to the fence - again as above.
    It doesn't ward them off or keep them away but it does drive them nuts and helps when you've got problems during lambing with a few problem birds. They really don't like seeing there own dead. It doen't work with Rooks mind!

For those that are not 100% clear the links to the general licence which states what can be shot are as per below and remember they change year on year. So don't assume.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A1148732.pdf

General licences - Scottish Natural Heritage

The keepers gibbet doesn't work and certainly doesn't portray the right impression to the general public. There's certainly no place for it in this day and age.

It's only real purpose was for underkeepers to be able to demonstrate to the head keeper or boss that they were on top of their job in days long gone by.
    Last edited by 8x57; 09-04-2014 at 08:31.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    It doesn't ward them off or keep them away but it does drive them nuts and helps when you've got problems during lambing with a few problem birds. They really don't like seeing there own dead. It doen't work with Rooks mind!

For those that are not 100% clear the links to the general licence which states what can be shot are as per below and remember they change year on year. So don't assume.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A1148732.pdf

General licences - Scottish Natural Heritage
    Yer I said to the old farmer boy who came and asked me about it yesterday I told him what he can and cant shoot without applying for a license, I am kind of lucky I trained on a bird estate so it was drummed into me me what I could and couldnt shoot

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    The keepers gibbet doesn't work and certainly doesn't portray the right impression to the general public. There's certainly no place for it in this day and age.

It's only real purpose was for underkeepers to be able to demonstrate to the head keeper or boss that they were on top of their job in days long gone by.
    I was going to post to add the second sentence above - of something very like it - but it popped up in the autoquote all by itself!

"Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

I believe the tying of vermin to fences was not so much to ward of others of the same species but to show the landowner that the keeper was doing his job. Shooting crows over laid barley and then breaking them into pieces and scattering the parts over the laid crop does work (for a short while anyway).

General Licences are fairly specific and don't just provide open season. As alis says - don't assume.

I pick up what I kill and dispose of where I need it, I may keep the tail if it is a fox but even then I feel thats not needed

Quote Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
    I pick up what I kill and dispose of where I need it, I may keep the tail if it is a fox but even then I feel thats not needed
    When I was a kid, the "seasoned hunters" always tied squirrel tails on their car antennas.... Idea musta petered out before the internet came along cause I couldn't find an example for you

that practise used to be the norm everywhere but now i only tend to see it around shropshire for some reason, as the others have said its just to let the farmer/landowner know the pests are being sorted,
    DONT START