Large numbers of Roe seen today

andyf

Unfortunately I wasn't out stalking though, but driving around Glasgow motorways!

In the course of 2 short return journeys between Cambuslang and the North of the city I saw in excess of 15 deer today. Largest single group was 5 animals and the 3 or 4 bucks I could pick out were all still in velvet. All were feeding quite happily within sight of the M74, M8 and M80, although I'm sure most folk don't see them or know they are there!

I will run into the back of someone one day...

Some time around March April you get a lot of mature bucks racing young bucks from their turf. The disturbance really ups the number of roe you see.

Yes this didn't look like the result of young bucks being kicked out though. Not single bucks wandering around looking lost, but rather settled, feeding groups of 3 or 4 - does with this year's young and 4 or 6 point bucks.

It was just a really clear indicator of the large numbers of deer that are supported in the small pockets of green alongside and bounded by urban motorways. Not sure how you'd survey them but I wonder what sort of number you could put on the total population in Glasgow.

Yeh Andy see them regular on the M8 motorway verges round about Easterhouse area and from the M74 Rutherglen area, they are as plain as day when your looking for them but is amazing how many people will drive past them everyday not knowing their there!!!

Moose

Same as everything that lives in towns......MacDonalds:D

Theyre feeding on what most roe are at the moment, all the weeds that are coming up through the grass and the grass as well, I saw three feeding on the flowers of gorse which is all out just now as well on the verges, the motorway verges are that well planted with trees that roe feed well and the bucks look to have some nice heads.

Moose

Yes there is a few running about daldowie and were the old zoo was . Was also told the crossbow brigade were caught red handed down that area

There are about 8 always at the small pond near cambuslang buisness park roundabout,see them every morning and night,couple of bucks and does with kids.

There are about 8 always at the small pond near cambuslang buisness park roundabout,see them every morning and night,couple of bucks and does with kids.

Yep. Spotted them this morning. That was the group of 5 (as far as I could count!). Small patch of ground to hold that number so I presume they move along the river bank.

Back