Advise on torch purchase

Psyxologos

I am after a torch for home. I quite like the Maglite range, but I am rather confused as they have an awful lot of variants. I know I want something decently bright around 20-30cm long, and I do not want to spend a fortune. What are the differences between their incadecent and the LED range? I am also not clear on how many Cells I should aim for. They have two, three and four cells from what I can see, plus variants of each of their torches named 'D', 'C' etc. Does anyone have experience with these? I would be obliged for some tips. Thanks in advance!

I know that carrying one with more than 3 batteries in would be classed as carrying an offensive weapon :oops:

The ones i had were a little "greedy" on batteries but they were very tough.

If I remember rightly the C and D denotes the number of batteries or size of batteries it takes?

I've moved onto a cree torch for in the house to be honest.Only a cheapy from China but rechargable and does the job nicely

Last edited:
Olight M22 Warrior . . .

Stunning torch and will make even the largest maglite look like a candle in the wind :D

I have one, use it for work, around the house, and always have it with me stalking in case of a follow up at last light.

Not sure of your budget, but you won't be disappointed if you opt for a Warrior.

Last edited:
I know that carrying one with more than 3 batteries in would be classed as carrying an offensive weapon :oops:

The ones i had were a little "greedy" on batteries but they were very tough.

If I remember rightly the C and D denotes the number of batteries or size of batteries it takes?

I've moved onto a cree torch for in the house to be honest.Only a cheapy from China but rechargable and does the job nicely

I plan to have it at home and not to carry it with me. Will that still fall under the offensive weapon category?

Lighting - Heinnie Haynes

Feast your eyes over some of these, more than enough lighting to be getting on with, I have a nite core have owned it for about 11years and it has never missed a beat (even got spare parts with it when I bought it) now known as nextorch.

M

I plan to have it at home and not to carry it with me. Will that still fall under the offensive weapon category?

No mate.
You can even have a knuckleduster in your house without problems.It's when you take it anywhere including in your car that a long torch could get you in some bother if stopped

The offence of possession of an offensive weapon is only complete when not at your place of abode. Therefore this doesn't apply. Having a samurai sword for example above the mantelpiece is okay (from a legal point of view, taste is another matter). Furthermore, an offensive weapon needs to be made as an offensive weapon (e.g. knuckle dusters), adapted to be one (e.g. a shortened pool cue hidden up your sleeve) or intended to be one (where this torch business comes from I guess). Carrying about a Maglite after dark isn't carrying about an offensive weapon, unless you have the intention to use it to brain someone. It's a torch and is used to produce light. Yes, the bigger ones are heavy and well made, but the intention there is only to make them hard wearing and reliable.

As for the choice of the Maglite, the "C" and "D" refer to the size of the batteries used. The old ones are okay, but the newer LED ones are much better in the amount of light they produce and the batteries last a lot longer. I think they remain popular because they are so well made, but you may well find equally good or even better LED torches for the sake of a bit of surfing on the internet. Look at those able to be stuck on your rifle scope for example.

The offence of possession of an offensive weapon is only complete when not at your place of abode. Therefore this doesn't apply. Having a samurai sword for example above the mantelpiece is okay (from a legal point of view, taste is another matter). Furthermore, an offensive weapon needs to be made as an offensive weapon (e.g. knuckle dusters), adapted to be one (e.g. a shortened pool cue hidden up your sleeve) or intended to be one (where this torch business comes from I guess). Carrying about a Maglite after dark isn't carrying about an offensive weapon, unless you have the intention to use it to brain someone. It's a torch and is used to produce light. Yes, the bigger ones are heavy and well made, but the intention there is only to make them hard wearing and reliable.

As for the choice of the Maglite, the "C" and "D" refer to the size of the batteries used. The old ones are okay, but the newer LED ones are much better in the amount of light they produce and the batteries last a lot longer. I think they remain popular because they are so well made, but you may well find equally good or even better LED torches for the sake of a bit of surfing on the internet. Look at those able to be stuck on your rifle scope for example.

Thanks for the answer. Very helpful. I have torches for my rifle, all I want is a torch that I can keep at home for when I need to go to the basement, or in the middle of the night if I hear a noise from inside the house. In other words, something that will be offering me a good beam and if needs be protect me from an intruder...

I have several torches. If you just want a good household torch go for a two or three D cell Maglite, get a LED bulb upgrade from The Torch Site and you have a great torch. I have one that I can use generally or on my scope that will focus down to a pencil beam and identify foxes out to best part of 200yds. I have used two Atom clamps bolted togther, one 32mm to fit the torch and one 25mm to fit the scope.
Can supply more details if required

In what way ?

The really old long Maglites were also weighted(don't know if the new ones are) and as such were able to be used as a truncheon.
After an "incident" at work we were advised by Notts police that a torch of more than 3 cells could be used as a offensive weapon and would be classed as one if found in our vehicles

The really old long Maglites were also weighted(don't know if the new ones are) and as such were able to be used as a truncheon.
After an "incident" at work we were advised by Notts police that a torch of more than 3 cells could be used as a offensive weapon and would be classed as one if found in our vehicles
I'll have to tell the Mrs!

Back