Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: tick are out

  1. #1

    tick are out

    with the spring here so to a are little woodland friends the ticks , I shot a little buck yesterday pm and it was covered in ticks all over it back and it legs were covered when I gralloch it the subs were fine and so were the rets but the mesenteric was swollen when I cut it open a creamy liquid came out white blood cells doing they job I put it down to the heavy tick burden and the body trying to fight of the infection cause by the ticks at this level this is the third time I have noticed this has any one else had any similar findings??
    Last edited by berg; 09-04-2014 at 22:27.

  2. #2
    With that level of infestation and pus filled nodes I'd be suspecting something else wrong with that deer.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    With that level of infestation and pus filled nodes I'd be suspecting something else wrong with that deer.
    Why? A heavy tick burden and slight swelling of some glands is normally just a sign that the animal is a little unwell. I'm sure the glands in your own neck have been 'up' when you were unwell, but I doubt you've ever had TB? We are not in a TB area. It's just the bodies imune system doing its job. There may well be something else slightly wrong, but it is of little concern.
    MS

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    With that level of infestation and pus filled nodes I'd be suspecting something else wrong with that deer.
    As i work in the meat trade and i was at the slaughter house this morrning pick 25 new season lambs for tomorrow i grabed one off the meat inspectors and told him about it ,he told me not to worrie about TB as we dont have any recored cases of it this far over east (yet) but what i should be looking for a custard texture puss not a watery one and that other than TB the mesenteric only normaly swells from something it has ingestid ?as the subs and rets were ok not to much to worrie about pretty much what m/s said.But a word of warnning make sure that you were disposable glove at all time s during the gralloch as TB is transferable to humans in this way be very carefull when cutting open glads .and said i should carry sanitizer in the car and wash down after gralloching , i do anyway but i bet theres a few die hards out ther that dont even were gloves

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by berg View Post
    As i work in the meat trade and i was at the slaughter house this morrning pick 25 new season lambs for tomorrow i grabed one off the meat inspectors and told him about it ,he told me not to worrie about TB as we dont have any recored cases of it this far over east (yet) but what i should be looking for a custard texture puss not a watery one and that other than TB the mesenteric only normaly swells from something it has ingestid ?as the subs and rets were ok not to much to worrie about pretty much what m/s said.But a word of warnning make sure that you were disposable glove at all time s during the gralloch as TB is transferable to humans in this way be very carefull when cutting open glads .and said i should carry sanitizer in the car and wash down after gralloching , i do anyway but i bet theres a few die hards out ther that dont even were gloves
    Feck. I never wear gloves.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunting Solutions View Post
    Feck. I never wear gloves.
    Thats up to you but if you do pick somthing up and i know there people that have caught some kind off bacterial virrus like e.coli off animals of working in the slaughter house ,ok not just becouse they weren,t wearing glove and 2 off them were back to work within a week or two but one chap was so ill for months and they couldn't fined out what was causing it , he was shi#ing water lost loads of weight and had to move out off his house as his wife was worried that the kids might catch something . what we do that affects us is up to use but when you could put others at risk it might be worth thinking a little harder .basic hygine takes no time at all the gloves are not there to stop your hands from getting blood on them , it proventing cross comtamination both ways.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by berg View Post
    Thats up to you but if you do pick somthing up and i know there people that have caught some kind off bacterial virrus like e.coli off animals of working in the slaughter house ,ok not just becouse they weren,t wearing glove and 2 off them were back to work within a week or two but one chap was so ill for months and they couldn't fined out what was causing it , he was shi#ing water lost loads of weight and had to move out off his house as his wife was worried that the kids might catch something . what we do that affects us is up to use but when you could put others at risk it might be worth thinking a little harder .basic hygine takes no time at all the gloves are not there to stop your hands from getting blood on them , it proventing cross comtamination both ways.
    Oh, I always have gloves in my stalking pack but just never remember to use them!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Why? A heavy tick burden and slight swelling of some glands is normally just a sign that the animal is a little unwell. I'm sure the glands in your own neck have been 'up' when you were unwell, but I doubt you've ever had TB? We are not in a TB area. It's just the bodies imune system doing its job. There may well be something else slightly wrong, but it is of little concern.
    MS
    There has to be a first case some time. Just because Suffolk isn't a TB area doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it. If that's your attitude why bother checking at all?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    There has to be a first case some time. Just because Suffolk isn't a TB area doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it. If that's your attitude why bother checking at all?
    that why I spoke to someone with more knowledge than my self, and as we are in the middle off east Anglia it would have to spread to us ,so we would know it was coming its not spread by midges or air born like foot and mouth it dose not just appear at random.but your right we need to look ,and I just got of the phone to a friend who has a small roe to burn as it has a worn infestation thats the second on this year from the same wood

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    There has to be a first case some time. Just because Suffolk isn't a TB area doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it. If that's your attitude why bother checking at all?
    Of course, all wild deer should be thoroughly inspected! I generally shoot about 150 wild deer a year in this area and can assure you that every one of them gets a good inspection!
    However, when you've shot enough deer, you do get to know what is good or bad. There are a multitude of reasons why any of the glands can be raised, and if you look hard enough on every deer you can probably find something slightly 'abnormal'. The trouble is now in the stalking world, we are faced with this growing and almost 'fear culture' that any slight abnormality is now 'notifiable' in almost every instance! Being able to distinguish between them is clearly essential and that can only come with knowledge and experience. The Mesenteric chain is a bit like a fingerprint - they are all different! Some will be a continuous line, some will be broken and some will be little more than a couple of lumps. They will also change size according to general health. It is also the one gland which you can always check despite placement of shot and a good indicator of TB if indeed the animal is infected. If it is TB, it should be fairly obvious. If you are not sure it is always better to seek the knowledge of someone else. Another good aid is the little booklet sold by the BDS which you can carry with you into the field.
    MS

Similar Threads

  1. My first tick
    By jack in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 19:33
  2. tick bite?
    By stalkinginengland in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 16:03
  3. tick repelant
    By niko in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-11-2010, 17:29
  4. Is this a tick?
    By basil in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 28-09-2010, 21:54
  5. Tick Pyaemia
    By Tamus in forum Diseases, Welfare and Biology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 10:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •