Thread: Leica Geovid 8x42

Leica Geovid 8x42

I'm after a pair of rangefinding binos, probably Geovids in 8x42, although I may be consider other brands for the right price. Looking for the classic Geovid (or HD) as I can't justify the extra 1k for the HD-B.

Check that whatever you buy does yards and metres. The pair I've got are excellent but only range in metres. Regards JCS

I've found the 8x42 Geovids to be the perfect compromise between magnification, exit pupil, weight and cost.

Next time I'm over I'll bring mine for you to have a play.

They are factory set at either metres or yards.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierdoc View Post
    I've found the 8x42 Geovids to be the perfect compromise between magnification, exit pupil, weight and cost.

Next time I'm over I'll bring mine for you to have a play.
    thanks, and I'll try and remember to look through them. I hope I'll have my own by then, although the cost of a new pair has gone up somewhat since you purchased yours grandad.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Check that whatever you buy does yards and metres. The pair I've got are excellent but only range in metres. Regards JCS
    As had been said, the geovids are yards or metres. Doesn't really bother me, just pick one and print a ballistic chart in that unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltshire Lad View Post
    thanks, and I'll try and remember to look through them. I hope I'll have my own by then, although the cost of a new pair has gone up somewhat since you purchased yours grandad.
    They still cost me a few guineas, though.

Mine are calibrated in cubits.

I have now bought a new pair of Geovid 8x42 HD. It seems that these are being phased out to be replaced by the new HD-R models, which look the same but also calculate equivalent horizontal range, taking account of the angle of shot. Explains why hardly anyone had stock of the HD model. I'm sure the price is only going one way.

I'm sure you'll be happy with them but weren't you tempted by the HD-R?

You could do away with the clutter of a cosine indicator and some hard sums!

No, as theta approaches zero (which it does for most practical stalking situations) then cos theta approximates to 1-theta squared over two, which is the sort of thing I do in my head anyway. Obviously in this approximation theta is expressed in radians.

(Mmmmm pi.....)