Dependant Young

mickthebrick

Am I correct in thinking that it is recommended that when you shoot a Female of any deer species you should also try to shoot the dependant youngster aswell, if not first?
I know that the deer seasons are set out so that in theory you are only shooting females a while after they have given birth and the young are a few months old but at what age is a youngster no longer classed as being dependant on the mother?
Six months? A year?

Mick

:lol: I'll run away now then

To be more specific what age would most people/best practice say a Roe was no longer dependant?

Mick(running awa.....)

(ROE DEER )For me its the new year Jan the first is when i swap from kids first then doe to doe first then the kids and it has worked for me i hope it gets put in the new legislation . ;) PS GRIFF WONT COME IN TO THIS HE GOT HIS ASS SPANKED BY THE MANSUCKER. ;)

[quote="Deerstalker2010HE GOT HIS ASS SPANKED BY THE MANSUCKER. ;)[/quote]

Some people would pay good money for that kind of service!! :lol:

I do not shoot a doe when there is a kid around at any time of the year. That is my personal choice any other may diasgree. I think you can always find a single doe around or one stays long enough to offer a shot after the kid has been killed.

Greg

Well in that case, here's the 2 Roe I shot this weekend when invited out by a mate. That's still only 3 in the last 12mths but I cant moan about a "right and left". I shot the Kid first at about 50yds, the mother started to run but stopped and came back to see why her kid wasn't moving and with a lot of "Go on! Shoot!Go on!" from behind me which really helped :rolleyes: I shot her too.
DSC00163.jpg

I was a little disappointed with my second shot as it only clipped the lungs but turned destroying the liver and hitting the gut. I thought she would run but she made off slowly and sat down. Not a shot I wish to repeat mainly because they dont die as quickly but also there's the messy gralloch and the wasted meat.
I wonder to myself what would I have done had I been on my own and I honestly dont know. All the deer we saw had kids with them, some had 2 and I believe there is a bit of pressure to get rid of as many deer as possible as the estate has been replanted.
But a good day out and certainly one I wont forget.
Mick

That is the right way to shoot them in my book, the young un first then mum at least before christmas. After Christmas if you shoot mum first you are much more likely to get a chance at the second shot than the other way about. I should explain the before christmas bit; After Christmas most kids will be strong enough to fend for them selves without their mother through the rest of the winter.

We all learn from our mistakes with the shot. I used to think about meat damage when shooting an animal but now I would sooner loose a shoulder and go straight through the heart than clip the gut.

ATB

Dave

I agree that post Christmas, Roe kids will survive well enough without their mother for guidance etc. If you have any kind of cull to undertake you can't pass up opportunities for does with kids at heel forever....

i was out this weekend when i was confronted buy a doe with 2 young (a buck and a doe) my choice was to take the young doe. i am not in any streach of the imagination a profesional deer manager but my thinking behind this rightly or wrongly was that with the bad weather we have had and more due on the way the older doe was more likely to see the rest of the winter out. in reality all 3 deer were in good condition and i never couldnt get a shot off as it wasnt safe but if i had had the chance of a shot this is what i would have done.

mick a good question to ask
also alot of honest sensible replies which is what i would
expect from this site .
thats why this is the only site i use
the other sites are welcome to there **** storms :eek:
regards pete .

Thanks for the replies gents. It's good to know that I did the right thing even if it was by accident :)
I'm slowly learning first hand that there's a lot more to it than just pulling the trigger.
Cheers

Mick

I think there is a decent rule of thumb appearing here.

Dependant young first before Christmas. After Christmas, you should probably take whatever you can get a safe shot at, and don't worry too much about the details.

Claret_Dabbler said:
I think there is a decent rule of thumb appearing here.

Dependant young first before Christmas. After Christmas, you should probably take whatever you can get a safe shot at, and don't worry too much about the details.

I agree, I was once told that if you shoot the mature doe later in the doe season you will be doing the doe kid a favour, as there is a good chance she will take over the mother’s territory and get a better start than if she had to be driven out and had to established her own.

ATB

Tahr

I agree with that Thar and might add that if you leave twin kids after new year most times i have noticed is they stay together for a long long time .I Have two does that were related who have been on the same patch for three years both have given birth to twins and at times they represent a good group.
;)

MTB.
What is a dependant? One that does not rely on its mother to feed it through the winter period, does not rely on its mother to teach it the neccesary skills to survive the winter,does not rely on its mother to learn the feeding patterns of different plants.Orphaned kids do not do well if they have to survive the winter alone, we all know what happens when your growth is stunted when you are in your infancy..
The person that started this "unholy" row from another site, when confronted by his peers on this subject could only come up with abuse and lies and was found out, and as a consequence was banned from this site and several others.

As per normal Deerstalker2010 is spouting innacuracy's not only on this thread but others where he has tried to start a heated debates..

Familiar smell beginning to ouse from this person.

Griff i don't write lies now take that back . Or i will give you sore head a slap :lol: .With regards you getting spanked that is just a Fraze for a talking down. I didn't really mean spanked :lol: .Now if you are trying to get me banned for having a sense of humour fine on you go. But i will only go and put your phone number in all the local toilets ;) .PS go read my post on this you will see i agree with you not Man sucker but hey that wont last.

Back