Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit - Any good?

Lee Clarke

Hi,

I'm just looking at getting into reloading, I have someone who knows what they are doing and can hold my hand so to speak.
I'm now looking around for the kit and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the following???
[h=1]Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit[/h]
Comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Two alternatives.

1. Buy the Lee kit and reload ammo simply and successfully.

2. Go upmarket (read - more expensive) and reload ammo simply and successfully.

Two problems.

1. The anti-Lee faction will make your life a misery because "you cannot possibly load good ammo unless you spend as much as I did on the Whammobitchin Case Comfubiliator".

2. Nagging doubts as to "should I have gone upmarket?" - spent a lot more.

At this stage in your reloading career, I suggest that you do not know if you have the mindset to enjoy the process, so why spend big money?

As one who started with the Lee Challenger kit 40+ years ago and has added selected upmarket kit as I gained knowledge and experience, I say GO WITH LEE.

Of course, you could haunt the classifieds on SD and buy your Whammobitchin Case Comfubiliator second hand for no money!

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting back into reloading too- having got back into stalking. I think the Lee kit is fine and will go with it too. I think the quality in reloading comes form the reloader and their care in doing it.

I recently sold my press, and all the other reloading kit and bought a lee hand loader, electronic scales and the simplicity is fantastic - and the rifle/rounds will still shoot touching groups at 100 yards...more than what i need!

Regards,

Gixer

I brought the Lee kit and make very accurate ammo. However the only part of the Lee kit I use is the press and hand priming tool. My dies are Hornady, scales are customised RCBS 505's. Most of the Lee Challenger kit is ****, ie the scales, powder throw etc. you'll still need to buy a loading tray and trimming stuff.

Hi Tim,

Which bits are ****???? And why?

I'm after the best / most economical kit I can find at the moment.

Unless range shooting I get through between 120 & 150 rounds a year. At present, looking at the costings it will take 4 / 5 years until I start to feel any financial benefit.

I'm attracted to the idea as I like the though of producing and refining my own ammunition and alike to fly tying it's a relaxing process when not out there shooting!

I recently sold my press, and all the other reloading kit and bought a lee hand loader, electronic scales and the simplicity is fantastic - and the rifle/rounds will still shoot touching groups at 100 yards...more than what i need!

Regards,

Gixer
Agreed! While it is nice to have a Dillon or Hornady Lock n Load, or a Lee Turret Press so you can set up dies for a cartridge and just pop in the whole set, a single stage Lee, Lyman, RCBS or even the Lee Hand Press will do the job well.

I have made a kit, which holds my RCBS scales and Lee Hand Press, to take to the range, and load right there.

You would probably be better of buying your reloading gear separate i have heard that the Lee safety scales are tricky to use, all my reloading stuff is from Lee and have had no problems with it, i use Lyman pro 500 scales though. I think the Lee stuff is also sensibly priced and gives good value for money and it certainly works for me and produces consistent and accurate ammunition which is what we all want at the end of the day. I trust the equipment and you wont go wrong with it. Also another important bit of kit would be to get a reloading manual from one of the big manufacturers.

Hi Tim,

Which bits are ****???? And why?

The scales are utter pants, very fiddly to use / setup better off getting some proper balance scales. The powder throw doesn't give accurate consistent measures. The press is good, so is the hand priming tool and most other Lee equipment is good, especially their trim to length gauges and cutters.

if you want something cheap look at the Lee Loaders, put your ammo together with a hammer for approx £40 a calibre. I've got them for .223 and .308, easy to use and if you mean sure your powder can make accurate ammo.

It's a poor workman that blames his tools. - What my Dad taught me & it still holds good.
For a starter kit the Lee is fine & good value for money. The scale does need care to set up & use but it will do a good job and measure with adequate accuracy & repeatability - if approached properly.
Yes there are better scales around & I have one (Very much more expensive too) - Do they make me better at reloading accurate ammunition? No!
Are they nicer to use - Possibly. - I have two scales in use when loading to use as a cross check & a Lee is one of them.

Ian

Back