Thread: Deterrent against poachers!

Deterrent against poachers!

Evening all,

I recently picked up a lease on new permission with Fallow every where due to the poachers in the area! Its so sad to hear the stories from this retired couple who have quite frankly had enough of their grim acts. The land owner has been beaten, spat on and generally abused and the police are powerless to stop these c**ts. I convinced him that a real presence on the land day and night with lamps and rifles would probably move these idiots on. I know I can't be there all the time and no doubt they will pick off the odd deer/sheep, but i'm sure we will make a difference? Why do these people have to live in fear its just not right. I've deployed the trail cams in known areas hoping to get a face ID or number plate ID, and will be banging the white light on them should we cross their paths at night.

If you are in the area of Exeter, I would like to hear from you via PM.

Please share your thoughts?

Regards

Carl.

We had a similar problem but with dog men on hares it was out of control you could spot several lamps going at one time over different parts of the estate. Confrontation was pointless and borderline dangerous. The keeper befriended a local bobby and gathered a lot of evidence through logging incidents with police, photos, vehicle registrations ect ect once they got a conviction or 2 none seemed to come back it seems the poaching community got word it wasn't worth the effort and very few problems now. It took years though to get a grip of it

as you say prevention is better than cure ,pick shitty nights windy lots of cloud cover cos thats when they will be out, check all acess on and off fasten or block gates flash your lamps everywhere,once theyve been rumbled they will clear off they dont want any attention,more than likely knock off vehicles anyway watch for lads being dropped off to be picked up later when theyve finished,borrow some nightvision gear and watch
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 10-04-2014 at 22:07.
    DONT START

Boys up with us had a few methods to deter poachers.

If it was lampers with dogs then a few deer silhouettes cut out of 25mm ply with cats eyes from the middle of the road placed to represent eyes and large nails through the legs and haunch area where the dogs would attack. I was shown these cut outs and one even had a set of antlers attached which really made it realistic and the legs which were smashed and covered in the dogs blood.

Not nice on the dog and he was only doing what he was told to do but the keeper assured me that the dog which tried to pull down this cut out would always think twice about attacking another set of eyes.

If it was just pheasant poachers then they would wait for them to get into an area where they could surround them with all the under keepers etc and deploy part two which I cannot repeat.
    This always resulted in the poachers giving up and after the keepers introduced themselves to them, they were carted off to the Police station with a lamb or sheep as they were rustling, not poaching according to the keepers and that is a offence which the Police can easily prosecute.

For some reason the poachers always picked on a sheep that would butt the hell out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post

If it was lampers with dogs then a few deer silhouettes cut out of 25mm ply with cats eyes from the middle of the road placed to represent eyes and large nails through the legs and haunch area where the dogs would attack. I was shown these cut outs and one even had a set of antlers attached which really made it realistic and the legs which were smashed and covered in the dogs blood.

Not nice on the dog and he was only doing what he was told to do but the keeper assured me that the dog which tried to pull down this cut out would always think twice about attacking another set of eyes.

If it was just pheasant poachers then they would wait for them to get into an area where they could surround them with all the under keepers etc and deploy part two which I cannot repeat.
    This always resulted in the poachers giving up and after the keepers introduced themselves to them, they were carted off to the Police station with a lamb or sheep as they were rustling, not poaching according to the keepers and that is a offence which the Police can easily prosecute.

For some reason the poachers always picked on a sheep that would butt the hell out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    as you say prevention is better than cure ,pick shitty nights windy lots of cloud cover cos thats when they will be out, check all acess on and off fasten or block gates flash your lamps everywhere,once theyve been rumbled they will clear off they dont want any attention,more than likely knock off vehicles anyway watch for lads being dropped off to be picked up later when theyve finished,borrow some nightvision gear and watch
    Agree with you 100% with that advice.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post

love the ending