Thread: which thread for mod on browning x-bolt 308 win

which thread for mod on browning x-bolt 308 win

Hi,

I have a browning x-bolt 308 win and I want to put a moderator on my rifle.

I would like your opinion on what thread is most suitable for the rifle.

The barrel is relatively thin. About 15 mm.

Which thread would you recommend?
    Any othter users with the same rifle and a moderator

Martin

M14 with a spigot is what I have on my .223 a-bolt, barrel is just a bit over 15mm.
    I used to have an X-bolt in .223, that had a factory M14 which was worthless, had that re-done in .1/2x20
    That would not be a great move on a 30 cal, which is why I also chose M14 spigot for a CZ .30 with a 15.4mm barrel.

Neil.

Thaks for reply,

Why was the m14 thread worthless and why do you not consider the 1/2"x20 UnF thread a great move?

- Martin

I've just had my x-bolt .375 modded with 15x1. Seems fine and passed proof. Also shoots straight - which is nice!

my browning xbolt s/s in 308 win came with a factory 14x1 thread same as the sako, my barrel is the bog standard normal sporter one

hope this helps ya

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I used to have an X-bolt in .223, that had a factory M14 which was worthless, had that re-done in .1/2x20
    That would not be a great move on a 30 cal

Neil.
    My A-bolt .308 came with 1/2"unef 28tpi from the factory, it does look thin but passed proof I assume and hasn't blown up on me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by martinr View Post
    Thaks for reply,

Why was the m14 thread worthless and why do you not consider the 1/2"x20 UnF thread a great move?

- Martin
    For security the thread need to be backed up with a shoulder, an M14 thread on a 15.4mm barrel doesn't leave much of the shoulder.
    The M14 spigot thread will work on a barrel of 15mm diametre.
    As for 1/2unf on a 30 cal, the root diameter of the thread is .438" take away the bore at .308" and you have .130" left divide that by 2 and you get .065"
    Do you really want to use something that mechanically weak on something so important, with a muzzle can it would need only a light tap on a fence post
    as you pass or climb a gate and your on your way home, or worse still you don't notice and then pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyblanco View Post
    My A-bolt .308 came with 1/2"unef 28tpi from the factory, it does look thin but passed proof I assume and hasn't blown up on me yet.
    " x28 has an extra .010" wall thickness, better than " x 20 but still rather you than me.

Neil.

PS: But I'm looking at all this as an engineer, so you make your own minds up as shooters, after all it is your rifle ands not mine.

I'm guessing Browning made the rifle and the European market insisted it was threaded, there is no way mine could have a 14mm thread as it's a skinny little barrel.
    1/2x28tpi seems to be done quite commonly in .30cal rifles so I doubt pressure damage would ever be a problem, an over barrel mod with a rear bush might have been a better choice than my sl5 though with regards to knocks whilst stalking.

having my tikka m695 done this week and gone for m14 x1 spigot