How Do You Calculate the lenghth of a fence ?

Johno100

A potential project has come up and could involve deer fencing 40ha of ground ,I`m no mathematician and was wondering how do I calculate the fence length with out going out there and walking it? , second question is what's the going rate for deer fencing (Red) ?

Thanks In Advance

Id look at online mapping and using the scales work out the area unless the block is square or rectangular then working out 40hct would be easy..

You could also use a LRF and a friend walking between various points on the perimeter to calculate the actual length needed,

Red fencing isn't cheap…..

Use an OS map, measure the perimiter (or area to be fenced) of the area on the map & use the scale on the map to give the length that's required. Old fashioned I know but it still works. Wingy

40ha = 0.4km2
If it was a square this equals 0.632km per side (square root of 0.4)
Perimeter is 4 sides therefore approximate perimeter length is 2.528km

Simples

Last edited:
Forestry is my business. Depending on the terrain and accessibility, a fair guide to the cost of deer fencing per meter run, to include materials and labour would be IRO £10

40ha = 0.4km2
If it was a square this equals 0.632km per side (square root of 0.4)
Perimeter is 4 sides therefore approximate perimeter length is 2.528km

Simples

Forestry is my business. Depending on the terrain and accessibility, a fair guide to the cost of deer fencing per meter run, to include materials and labour would be IRO £10

Ouch, £26,000 on fencing!! I'll shoot them all for £10,000 but only if I get to keep the carcasses!! :rofl:

40 hectares, that's a lot of fencing just hope that it's mainly on the flat and not uphill and down dale. I break into a sweat thinking about all that work. :oops:

2550m if your lucky and the block is square, more like 3000m if it has a few kinks and is more rectangular in shape. Easy ground will cost around £7.50m; hard ground more like £10.00/m. (Scottish Highland rates). That's a lot of money and it's why a lot of foresters shoot deer instead of erecting fences.

As others have hinted at its all very well guestimating the likely length of fence but unless u go out and put 'eye's' on it u could be well out, if loads of small wee kinks so loads of strainers, acces, water gates etc loads of stuff that will all eat into ur profit, ur talking 30K but if u get it wrong and jobs takes bit longer (or aa lot longer) extra materials etc could end up costing u a fair bit

Be well worth walking the 3km prob take an hour, esp so if ur new to deer fencing or don't know the area
Not being cheeky but plenty of people get their fingers burnt doing upland fencing, never mind deer fencing, have to know wot ur doing and have the gear for getting materials out there

Aye knocked up the odd meter in my time.
Even looking at a good map still hard to figure local ground soil conditions unless u know the general area.

And been there on got the t shirt on smaller jobs where u hit an unforseen snag and end up doing the job for free really, but on big job that's a kiler and the sort of thing that send's u under.
Plus chances are u will only be paid on completion of job possibly 1-3 months later, lot of cash to be lying out

Back