Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is my zero range!!

What is my zero range!!

I've zero'd my 22lr using Winchester 40grn Subs to shoot an inch high at 30m. So what the hell is my actual near zero range? Would like to find a ballistic table showing my drop at distances but without my zero range I can't find it.

May as well just take the rifle out again and zero it at 30m!!!

About 65 yards innit?

Sounds like you are zero'd for 1 inch high at 30m.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by timbeech View Post
    I've zero'd my 22lr using Winchester 40grn Subs to shoot an inch high at 30m. So what the hell is my actual near zero range? Would like to find a ballistic table showing my drop at distances but without my zero range I can't find it.

May as well just take the rifle out again and zero it at 30m!!!
    Really need a bit more information and even then it's only an educated guess. The only way really is to shoot a series of "range cards" to see what that ammunition actually shoots like in your rifle. Things like length of barrel, scope height and even batch number of the ammunition will all have an effect and the longer the range the more effect they all have.

With an estimated velocity of 1050fps (you will need to check this with a chronograph through your rifle, no matter what it says on the box) and a scope height of 2" and using a BC of .2 for the bullet, I calculate

Your first dead on zero is at 15 yds.
    At 30 yds you are at 1.06" high
    At 45 yds you are at 1.5" maximum high
    you are back to dead on zero at 75yds (velocity down to 975fps and 84ftlbs)
    At 100 yds you are 3.8" low
    At 110 yds you are dropping like a stone and 6" low.

Personally I would bring my zero back a bit to maybe 55 yards, this will give you "point and shoot" from about 20-65 yards. With your zero at 75 yards you stand a very real chance of having misses over the top at the 45 yd area.

If you zero for .35" at 30 yds that will give you a poa zero of 55yds. from 20-65 yds you will be with .75" at all times.
    Last edited by 1066; 11-04-2014 at 15:30.

Just get out and shoot it at the different ranges and try to memorise that.

My .22 is zero'd about 60, an inch high at 30 and about 4 inch low at 100yards. Beyond that it's to wild to be plinking bunnies.

Try the Hawke ballistic calculator...

Hawke Optics UK | BRC

It's easy to use and tinker with zero ranges etc..it will give you drop figures and a trajectory..it's pretty accurate..and best of all..it's free.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

just zero at whatever the majority of your shots are it wont be 100yds it will be more like 15 to 75 yards on bunnies ,so if you zero at say 65yds you then know if you shoot enough that whatever the distance is roughly to the bunnie so you aim slightly under or over, simples but then the hard part is then replicating that when its peeing down blowing a gale and pitch black, thats when all your years of practise kicks in, atb doug,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    Sounds like you are zero'd for 1 inch high at 30m.

SS
    What he said!! Why zero high at a known distance and then wonder what your actual zero will be??
    This will always be a guess, zero at a distance you want to shoot at.

Ian.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by timbeech View Post
    I've zero'd my 22lr using Winchester 40grn Subs to shoot an inch high at 30m.
    Simple answer is your not zeroed at all.

Neil.

I zero mine in bang on at 60yds