Wanted: Jobs for a beater it a stalker.

Hey guys, I live in the Bristol area and me and my friend are looking to find a place to hunt for pests or small game but we can't just jump into someone's land without permission or if they don't trust us, so we're looking to do a few jobs either being a beater or a stalker to gain experience and to gain trust of potential land owners, we both work in a butchers at the moment so we're not weak stomached when it comes to things like this and we are willing to get stuck in, any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope someone would be interested, thanks.

Well, you never know, it might pay off, but I wouldn't hold your breath.....you have 9 posts to your name, most of which have been asking for somewhere to shoot, or enquiring as to what 'stalking' is..... I have to say, it doesn't paint the best picture.
Take your time, build up a bit of a reputation on here for contributing to the forum, perhaps pay for a stalk or two to gain some experience, you will find that people who meet decent folk on here soon tell others, and so the network begins, and you build up contacts and trust, it doesn't come over night though, and most newcomers that jump straight in with requests for land tend to get a frosty reception, even when offering to help out......
It's by no means a closed shop out there, but it is one based on trust, and one where everyone is fearful of people trying to get their hands on their land, you are a long way down a long old queue of like minded people all in a similar boat, but good luck to you anyway.

Have to agree with deerstalker.308.I have been on site a while now,I have had several top guys take me out free of charge.Fox,Deer, even, so as soon as I am able I will repay their kindness.
I was at one time so peed off with no ground/stalking of my own,that I was going to pack it in.
6 years and still trying,but due to these guys help and positive attitude I am determined this year to get somewhere.
Thanks Guys Tony.

Ok thanks for the advice guys, and hopefully some nice people would be willing to let me go stalking with them aswell, it's best I can do as much as I can really to gain good experience and hopefully gain peoples trust to, can the experience be anything? Like maybe tracking, placing down bait for certain things and where to find certain animals? Thanks for the help

I don't know whether I get this guy's post's. Not sure if he's straight. Come on Superess94 make me believe you are genuine.Wf1

My point is that just sitting there asking for it on a plate almost certainly won't work, you won't just get offered stalking (if you do I'll be amazed) why not contact some of the many folk on here, some of which will be in your vicinity and book a couple of paid outings, that way (and no disrespect) you will actually see what 'stalking' is which might inform you and make you appreciate what it's all about......

i have to say, I'm leaning towards Wildfowler1's suspicion that all is not what it seems here, but I'm prepared to be proved wrong, you say that if you weren't genuine you wouldn't be here, but there are plenty who try, and normally their posts smell more than a little fishy....

As you work in a butchers then why not speak to some of your suppliers? If you have local lads who sell rabbits or deer in to you I'd speak to them first and ask if you can tag along and get some valuable experience there. It's always good to tap up your local business contacts first.

Even if you don't have any suppliers like that you'll have a few shooters coming into the shop, get chatting and see what fruit that avenue brings you.

i think you still need to understand what a 'stalker' is.

you are asking for a stalking job with zero experience.

My take on this is that our OP here is genuine, but perhaps a little wet behind the ears in terms of experience, not just about field sports but in terms of years on the planet as well. It appears that he is eager to learn and gain experience, but perhaps lacks some tact and is wanting things to happen too fast. The impetuosity of youth seems to be filtering through here in my view.

Unfortunately I'm at the other end of the country to him, but if I were in the Bristol area, I perhaps think I'd give him some tasks to do around the shoot, cleaning out pens, feeders, preparing water systems for the pheasants, that type of thing. See if he can do a bit, show he's a bit of a worker and trustworthy and perhaps he could be rewarded initially by a bit of supervised vermin control, perhaps some pigeon shooting, see what could be made of him.

Many of us had parents or other adults to show us the ropes. This person obviously doesn't, but (and hopefully I'm right here) just perhaps he is the sort of person therefore we should be encouraging into our sport.

My take on this is that our OP here is genuine, but perhaps a little wet behind the ears in terms of experience, not just about field sports but in terms of years on the planet as well. It appears that he is eager to learn and gain experience, but perhaps lacks some tact and is wanting things to happen too fast. The impetuosity of youth seems to be filtering through here in my view.

Unfortunately I'm at the other end of the country to him, but if I were in the Bristol area, I perhaps think I'd give him some tasks to do around the shoot, cleaning out pens, feeders, preparing water systems for the pheasants, that type of thing. See if he can do a bit, show he's a bit of a worker and trustworthy and perhaps he could be rewarded initially by a bit of supervised vermin control, perhaps some pigeon shooting, see what could be made of him.

Many of us had parents or other adults to show us the ropes. This person obviously doesn't, but (and hopefully I'm right here) just perhaps he is the sort of person therefore we should be encouraging into our sport.

+1 he's offering his services as a butcher, or his youthful energy and a strong back to swop for someone to give him a start/instruction in our chosen sport, I had the same enthusiasm and wishes when I was young too, lets hope someone with an open minded attitude who needs a hand close to him responds with an offer we would all like if it was us in the same situation. Happened for me when I was younger in my teens, and when I wanted to become a stalker in my mid life. There are two men that became two of my greatest friends by introducing me to stalking, in exchange for my professional skills. keep trying feller not everyone is a sceptic or frightened you'll pinch their permission, keep trying, be honest and an honest person will respond eventually. deerwarden :old:

Back