Bait for foxes, crows and rabbits?

Hey guys, what would be the best bait to use on foxes, rabbits and crows? Id rather ask you guys instead of google it because the best tips are from experienced hunters like yourself's, thanks guys:)

dead woodies if poss or in a bait tin cat food or tuna anything really , dont put big baits out they will appear from nowhere and pinch it! pluck some feathers out cpl handfulls and scatter around it will keep them sniffing while you line up,

Last edited:
As mentioned keep the bait small or in small bits to avoid the grab n run, pick up a bit of road kill, that would work, never baited rabbits, but let us know how you get on if you try.
atb

I will usually bait an area with dog food for a week when after foxy, it has only failed to produce once.
For crows i use a bin bag of household rubbish ripped open and spread out if it is not windy, crows and maggies cant resist having a look!

Ian.

I was taught two tricks that have always worked very well:

The first is to stamp a spade in the ground, opening up the crack a little. Push in catfood or sardines just below the surface and stand on it to close it back up. Do two or three of these a foot or so apart. They will scrat around on these and get a little reward to keep them at it, giving you time to draw a bead.

The second is a variation I suppose which is to sink a 12in or so piece of drainpipe in the ground. Into this you can then put whatever you like - rabbit guts or whatever. At 12in they can't reach the base of the pipe but they will put their head down and it holds them well. Sardine/fish oil seems to be very effective, dripped around (smelly!). This needs to be nowhere where other (wanted) animals could injure themselves by putting a leg down it. I have seen them with mesh over the top.

HTH

Did hear once a long time ago that if you get some clippings from horses feet after the farrier has been, put them into a bottle that can be sealed fill with some water and allow to stew for a few months the liquid that is made is irresistible to fox.
has anyone else heard of this and maybe tried it or was it an old wives tail.
Regards
Jimmy

dog or cat food scattered arround works for both fox and corvids avoid pigeon or rabbit carcaces unless tied down or mr fox will just run off with it dont know about baiting rabbits never tried to

Did hear once a long time ago that if you get some clippings from horses feet after the farrier has been, put them into a bottle that can be sealed fill with some water and allow to stew for a few months the liquid that is made is irresistible to fox.
has anyone else heard of this and maybe tried it or was it an old wives tail.
Regards
Jimmy

Yes, it works, you cook it up a bit and leave it in the sun in a sealed jar. DO NOT spill it anywhere you don't want it the stench is unbelievable and impossible to get rid of
Wingy

Dead rabbits tied up to a fence post about half way up so they cant sit down it keeps them there for ages as they have to pull and tug at it or try eat it where it is plenty of time for a shot

never baited rabbits mainly because there are more of them in maybe just one area so just pick them off one by one as they come out

dead crows are good at attracting more soon to be dead crows

Back