Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gritting grouse

gritting grouse

is there a best time to do this,theres a good few grouse ( never shot any over the years on this patch ) over about a 1000 acre that i look after, iv got a couple of bags of grit given to me from a mate and thought it be advantageus to get it out soon as poss .... its for use on trichostrongylus tenuis a bit of a moothfae i know if you'll pardon the pun..any help greatfully recived

we used to put piles of grit out all year round, around the edges of the beats usually on the hill roads , so i dont see no reason for you not to do it now should'nt be affected by snow cover from now on

I'm not an expert but as far as I am aware you can use medicated grit all year round EXCEPT one month before the shooting season and throughout the grouse shooting season. Most moors use a box with a flip over lid to expose/withdraw the medicated grit from the birds.
    Last edited by Willie; 12-04-2014 at 15:05.

thanx very much tulloch and willie, i had herd if you were laying it on the ground it had to be buried or removed before the end of june

Quote Originally Posted by skywull View Post
    thanx very much tulloch and willie, i had herd if you were laying it on the ground it had to be buried or removed before the end of june
    yer sorry I meant to say keep it covered just before shooting , however I do know shoots that have a lot of ground and they really don't bother covering it up at all

Yea - lets just give away prescription drugs. Lets contaminate birds going into the food chain with drugs.

Marvellous idea

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

As others have said it must be covered 28 days before u start to shoot, if u shoot. Either have a flip top thing with 2 sections or have 2 containers that fit inside each other (like the old school 'tote' trays)

If u don't can leave it uncovered all year.

Do u know wot ur worm counts are? Might not need medicated grit anyway, really comes into its own when numbers are fairly high at driven levels of grouse at lower densities worm burden usually isn't as bad or atleast not a limiting factor, more likely to be vermin or habitat

U should have normal grit out all year wether or not u need medicated, the really good moors have a proper system and put alot of grit out and a lot of gritting sations

thanx countryboy, i know the estate over the boundry from me had problems with worm, how much i dont know as its now defunked but i wont get into how and why
    like i said they'v not been shot here for a good number of years nore will they be or entering the food chain as apachy seems to have made his mind up that they will be, but that aside all i mean to do is give them a helping boost if i find it might help the birds on, i will be making more enquiries into the does and donts before i go any further hence me asking on here, thanx again

Best to get it out as soon as posilble if you were to use an atv on the ground as not to disturb nests. I usually do it in feb.

Quote Originally Posted by savage View Post
    Best to get it out as soon as posilble if you were to use an atv on the ground as not to disturb nests. I usually do it in feb.
    +1 on getting it out quickly , also if you have just taken it over and worried about worm or Louping ill etc.. maybe you should not shoot it this season and wait a season and get the maintenance work done first.. Some of the best Grouse moors often take a full season or two out to evaluate their product , it's worth a though..

Also it gives you a chance to evaluate the broods and the counts ..