New .308 time! Sako or Tikka?

Just bought a Sako 75 3 308 in stainless, much better than the 2 tikkas i had in stainless lam 243 & 7mm09

This is a far better buy Tikka .308 M595 Stainless Synthetic Bolt Action Second Hand for sale. Buy for 500. Get it quick it will not be around for long.

The 595 is a solid rifle. As berg said, if you are going to hunt in bad weather, get stainless steel, and all the internal parts stainless, too ( Tikka and Sako are, all I have seen). If you are going to get stainless, it only makes sense to get the synthetic stock.

The T3 and Sako are different classes of rifle, and different in weight, too. The Tikka is a 6 lb rifle, great for walking a lot, climbing, having it in your hands a lot. The Sako 85 or 75 laminate is going to weigh 1.5 lbs more all scoped up. My T3 Lite SS .30-06 is 7 lbs with a 3-9x40 scope.

So it comes down to your style of hunting, and its intended use. To repeat my first advice, too shoot all of them you can, the T3 Lite, a 595, 75 and 85. You can't buy it from your armchair.

Shot and carried both in the field and preferred sako not technical comment but like the vw comparison sako felt more rugged and solid.

For a comparison of stocks, I bought a T3 hunter ( walnut stock ) then acquired a synthetic light stock
It is interesting to note that the walnut stock is fully free floated but the synthetic stock has a barrel moulding about 3.5 inches from the receiver which stops it being fully free floating,

this is to support the floppy placcy stock as much as anything else

free float a OEM synth stock and put a bipod on if you really want to see flex

Sako everytime, Tikkas are good working tools and yes they do shoot before someone has a go, but if want a rifle thats going to last then its a Sako, I have owned various Sakos over the last 20 years in various guises some wood some synthetic ect, A11s, 75s and one 85 all them shot superbly, provided I did my bit, the magazine is far better and reliable than the T3 the build quality of the Sako is far superiour than the Tikka T3.

Hi Red Ranger,

I was in the same situation as you I have a Sako 85 varmint in 223 and was looking for a 308 and went for a tikka T3 Varmint and so far I have been impressed with it and I'm sure it will do everything the sako will only save me a load of cash.

As a keeper I have a T3 s/s lite in 223 that sits in the back of the mule (in its slip) all day. Is nearly as bought new but I have had to change the plastic bolt shroud it cracked for a metal one no problem now! The bolt handle I have changed as the original was way to small with cold hands or gloves on. The plastic stock well that's cra# and that is been kind. Its makes for a very light rifle so would not like to shoot more than 3 308 rounds through it in sucession and may affect accuracy! But that all said I've had it for nearly four years, it shoots sako 55grn bullets less 1" group at a 100yds still. I cannot remember when I last changed the zero on it. Magazine has worked with no problems what's so ever and cannot ever remember having a miss feed or jam from it. The bolt moves like silk and if not for the travel if blind folded many a shooter could not tell the difference between the t3 and a sauer ( I have one and I can but only because of the bolt handle). That's my experience with the T3 I personally wouldn't consider a sako if you are going to push the boat out I would go for a second hand sauer, heym or mauser there are plenty out there that have been owned by 5 year shooters that have had a dozen rounds through them. Good luck and enjoy!

On a similar note to earlier thread, I have shot both Tikka and the Sako 85, and have no hesitation in saying that if the rifle is purely for your own use and you care and look after your equipment, then you will get far more enjoyment out of the Sako every time you pick it up. Don't think I'm pouring scorn on the Tikka, they certainly have their place and are built to last, which is why for many they are first choice work horse stalking rifles.
The steel mag of the 85 will hold 5 cartridges in .308, whereas if I remember the Tikka plastic one is a straight vertical feed of only 3.
atb.
RHE.

I have a T3 in 308 heavy barrelled stainless, mine wasnt screwcut so had it done 18x1, I have smit on top 8x56. I run mine on Privi 150gr soft points it will keyhole all day long for a rifle straight out the box, i cant fault the rifle for the money, althou it can get quite heavy if walking up, my rifle mag holds 5 rounds.

Back