Thread: Deer Tracking dog

Deer Tracking dog

Looking for an experienced deer tracking dog/bitch. Most breeds accepted.

Rowners

Enough money can buy most things but I think you may encounter difficulty in obtaining what you are after. I have both fully trained gundogs and a BMH. There is a bond between me and the hound that is not there with the spaniels. He is not just a dog he is a stalking mate, part of the partnership that money just could not buy. Never actually seen a fully trained/experienced tracking dog up for sale.

Gazza, i knew you'd find a pal one day!

Very valid point Gazza. It has highlighted the error of my ways and I too am now looking at getting hold of a GWP pup. Anybody know of any on the go just now?

Regards

Donald

Aye very good RD. By the way whilst you are sitting on SD the vermin are killing your grouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Enough money can buy most things but I think you may encounter difficulty in obtaining what you are after. I have both fully trained gundogs and a BMH. There is a bond between me and the hound that is not there with the spaniels. He is not just a dog he is a stalking mate, part of the partnership that money just could not buy. Never actually seen a fully trained/experienced tracking dog up for sale.
    I'm with Gazza on this one, and I think one of the reasons is that very few dogs are actually experienced on anything other than a handful of deer.. . . And the ones which are certainly don't come up for sale.

In your shoes I would look for a good working line of whatever tickles your fancy and train it to your specific
    requirements.

I've a fully trained excellent tracking dog( or so I believe ) available for 1 million pounds,cheap at half the price,joking aside you've more chance of finding the holy grail, these dogs just don't become available just like working terriers not available or passed on to close friends so I'd suggest a pup and stumble through the pit falls of training ,have fun LOL
    only when the last tree has been felled,the last fish caught and the last river poisoned will man realise he cant eat money

IMO you would be missing out on more than half the experience of owning such a dog if you were just to buy one. I have no doubt the dog would be capable of doing the job at hand, and may even become to see you as it's master and companion in time. But you would never get to see that dog progress, grow better at your side etc.
    I to hope to pick up my stalking dog in only weeks now, and can't say how much I am looking forward to training both me and the dog to get the best of each other. I expect it to be a challenge and take alot of time, but this should be seen as the fun of then using that dog to improve one's stalking experience. Maybe even find the odd runner. Take your time, find a breed which you both like the look of and will for fill your need. Make sure you have enough work for such a dog, else it'll get bored. Most of all see it as an extention to your enjoyment of stalking. Just my thoughts.

If your interested my teckel is in pup.

Hi Buy a pup, it's the only way you will get a proper bond between you and your dog