Thread: Trail camera battery life

Trail camera battery life

I know sometimes people are interested in battery life on trail cameras and I've had my 2012 model Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Max (119467 is the all important part number) out for a little while in various modes where it is seeing a lot of action and it exhausted its batteries on Friday.

The batteries were brand new Energizer Ultimate Lithiums and they managed 11,057 still images (probably about 30% with flash) and 507 one minute videos (8.45 hours of video almost all with flash). In view of the fact that almost all of the video was with the flash illuminated I think that is pretty good performance and in my view it makes the Energizer Lithiums well worth the premium price.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

That's good to know ,,I too have a Stealth Cam ,I'm not sure of the model but it's a Stealth Cam ,,,I. Tend to run out of memory on the memory card because of wind blowing branches or grass in front of it ,,,or flies buzzing into the sight picture ...
    It's a great job all the same and it can be hard enough on bAtteries 6 no ,'C' cell batteries ranging in price for Duracell on offer in Tescos from 8 for six to up to 19 for six which I had to pay yesterday before I could use it
    however I am considering a Deben Lithium power pack which has a 12v output it's bound to work out cheaper in the long run plus it is rechargeable and has many other uses .

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I know sometimes people are interested in battery life on trail cameras and I've had my 2012 model Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Max (119467 is the all important part number) out for a little while in various modes where it is seeing a lot of action and it exhausted its batteries on Friday.

The batteries were brand new Energizer Ultimate Lithiums and they managed 11,057 still images (probably about 30% with flash) and 507 one minute videos (8.45 hours of video almost all with flash). In view of the fact that almost all of the video was with the flash illuminated I think that is pretty good performance and in my view it makes the Energizer Lithiums well worth the premium price.

I too have had amazing performance with these batteries one set going on a year and still taking pics/video in my bushnell trophy cam.

Use an external battery, I run mine with 2 different 6V rechargeable batteries from an old lamping kit. You can get a jack plug from maplins or similar (mine came from an old rechargeable torch that happened to fit) and solder a couple of spade connectors on. I double my connectors up to run in parallel so I can change battery without resetting the camera

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post

I put in Energizer Ultimate Lithiums when i last changed the batteries. I noted the date in my diary and will see how long they last.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    I put in Energizer Ultimate Lithiums when i last changed the batteries. I noted the date in my diary and will see how long they last.
    For the data to be relevant, you'd need to plot the temperatures also.

Real killer is prolonged flash use in low temperature. Also if the camera sends the pics via MMS or email, the send feature may be automatically disabled if voltage drops (even temporarily).

I use lead acid gel batteries, what ever model is cheapest (around 5-10Ah). These are used in motorcycles, lawn mowers etc. Way cheaper than litium, and the size/weight is not an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    For the data to be relevant, you'd need to plot the temperatures also.

Real killer is prolonged flash use in low temperature. Also if the camera sends the pics via MMS or email, the send feature may be automatically disabled if voltage drops (even temporarily).

I use lead acid gel batteries, what ever model is cheapest (around 5-10Ah). These are used in motorcycles, lawn mowers etc. Way cheaper than litium, and the size/weight is not an issue for me.
    Really not that anal about the data. Its just to get a rough idea how if they are good value for the money. Mines just takes pics as its only a few hundred mtrs from my house-

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Although this was a short test because of the very high volume of video/photo activity I've found that with normal activity then the batteries will last more than a year, which is what Bushnell claim. Users on the Chasing Game Forums (ideal source of info on trail cameras) claim that the Bushnell/Energizer lithium combination is good for 30,000 photos over a full year.

In theory lithium batteries should not have a problem in low temperatures and I'd imagine our temperate climate in the UK will have little or no effect on them over a year.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

A little disappointed with the Lithium batteries. I put them in the camera on the 1st Febuary and the last picture was dated the 23rd june. So a little under 6 months. The camera has been averageing about a thousand photo's a week so that about 25000 pics.
    I think its back to useing Duracell again.