Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bunnie Combo ?

Bunnie Combo ?

Hi all , hope someone can give me some advice please .
    Finally after 30 plus years of using various shotguns I have my FAC, .
    It's going to be a long , expensive addiction I know but have lots of rabbit land first to be dealt with more effectively .
    Tomorrow i'm after my first rimmie , have decided on a CZ452 .22 calibre with a resin stock and 16" barrel , that's the easy part .

My questions are which moderator to go for? the shop says he has a whisper one ??

Which scope ? i'm thinking a 3-9 X 40 ? make hmmm?

Plus would any one suggest a bi-pod on such a light gun ?

Sorry for all the questions , i'm a new boy to rifles , i'll have more as the calibres get bigger

You don't need to go fancy or expensive with a bunny gun.

SAK moderator will do perfectly, and a hawke 3-9 x 40 scope. Total cost not much over 50 and will do the job as well as you need.

Bipod is handy to have for longer shots but not critical. Much more useful is pair of stalking sticks - B&Q garden canes work well.

It's dangerously easy to be seduced into thinking you need all sorts of top end gear. For bunnying, you really do not. It is not a terribly subtle art...

+1 for the sak, pretty much all you hear is the striker hitting the cartridge then the thump as the bullet arrives.
    Scope...buy the best you can afford, it'll save you changing later.
    I would recommend some sort of telescopic tripod sticks, for example...

Telescopic,shooting sticks, hunting shooting stand,Gun rest,tripod stalking rest | eBay

Very very handy.
    You can use them full length for a standing shot but I tend to use them full short (if you see what I mean) when I'm sitting.
    Once you've tried it you'll be glad you spent the money.
    Last edited by private fraser; 13-04-2014 at 20:19. Reason: spelling mistake
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Friend of mine had a sak and it was good. I have a cmm4 atec mod which i love. I agree with fraser on the scope. I had a nikko mount master at about 40 quid and it did just fine. I now have a nikon and the clarity is unreal but it did cost nearer 200. Im also with the stick brigade rather than bipod. I have a bipod but only use it for sighting in as i like to have a light rifle when walking after bunnies and most shoths are taken standing. The. 22 lr is a bit of a minx for ricochet so standing shots normally give a steeper angle of fire into the ground.

Just a note of warning. I believe some people have had issues with the cz synthetic stock braking around the front swivel stud when a bipod is used. I might be wrong on this though but its worth checking out

Regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Friend of mine had a sak and it was good. I have a cmm4 atec mod which i love. I agree with fraser on the scope. I had a nikko mount master at about 40 quid and it did just fine. I now have a nikon and the clarity is unreal but it did cost nearer 200. Im also with the stick brigade rather than bipod. I have a bipod but only use it for sighting in as i like to have a light rifle when walking after bunnies and most shoths are taken standing. The. 22 lr is a bit of a minx for ricochet so standing shots normally give a steeper angle of fire into the ground.

Just a note of warning. I believe some people have had issues with the cz synthetic stock braking around the front swivel stud when a bipod is used. I might be wrong on this though but its worth checking out

Regards pete
    I have the 452 in HMR,, feels safer to use than a 22.
    sak mod, no need for the more expensive version thats proofed!
    have a bipod but only use for sighting in
    Scope, I use a mamba lite, but although good, it spoils a great light carrying gun
    shop around for some spare 10 shot mags at under 20

Many thanks for all your advice , that's the bi-pod idea binned for me,sticks it is , the sak mod seems the one to get , plus i'll invest in a decent scope .

oh yeah, spare mags , good idea.

Can't wait to spend my pennies now.

Tri-pod sticks the best to get then?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnett View Post
    Hi all , hope someone can give me some advice please .
    Finally after 30 plus years of using various shotguns I have my FAC, .
    It's going to be a long , expensive addiction I know but have lots of rabbit land first to be dealt with more effectively .
    Tomorrow i'm after my first rimmie , have decided on a CZ452 .22 calibre with a resin stock and 16" barrel , that's the easy part .

My questions are which moderator to go for? the shop says he has a whisper one ??

Which scope ? i'm thinking a 3-9 X 40 ? make hmmm?

Plus would any one suggest a bi-pod on such a light gun ?

Sorry for all the questions , i'm a new boy to rifles , i'll have more as the calibres get bigger
    i have a .22 and 17hmr cz452 sillouttes with 16" barrels both have wildcat whispers nephew has a sak on his rimmi just as quiet as the wildcat tbh m8 cheers

By all means get a CZ 452 but get one in 17HMR, its a far more versatile cartridge then the 22LR and does not suffer from the dreaded 22LR ricochet.
    The ammo does cost more but the extra performance justifies the price.
    Oh, and the SAK mod works just as well with the HMR as it does with 22LR.

Ian.

Thanks that might be the whisper mod the gunshop suggested then .