Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Which .243 factory ammo?

  1. #1

    Which .243 factory ammo?

    Evening all,

    I've just started deer stalking and wondered which .243 factory rounds are good? I've got a Parker hale safari deluxe which I currently use for foxing with hornandy vmax 58gr rounds, I've got a couple of boxes of hornandy 100gr and some federal power shok 100gr? Any info is much appreciated

    cheers

    Nick

  2. #2
    get that hugely expensive gear out of your head for the moment and try ppu at less than half the price. It your gun likes it you'll be happy for life at the price and the deer won't know the difference!!

    ... and good luck!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul at Fechan View Post
    get that hugely expensive gear out of your head for the moment and try ppu at less than half the price. It your gun likes it you'll be happy for life at the price and the deer won't know the difference!!

    ... and good luck!
    +1 for ppu. I still have plenty Federal which my Sauer likes, but then again it shoots just as well with the ppu, just not so easily obtained locally.

  4. #4
    Cheers guys, I do have a box of PPU but in 90gr would they be sufficient for roe and fallow?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Colesco View Post
    Cheers guys, I do have a box of PPU but in 90gr would they be sufficient for roe and fallow?
    Subject to the usual caveats of sensible range and good shot placement, 90 grain bullet will be fine.
    Whilst I do not deliberately go looking for Red with my .243, I have shot a few large woodland Red at sensible ranges with a 85 grain Speer spbt and all have been killed cleanly.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Colesco View Post
    Evening all,

    I've just started deer stalking and wondered which .243 factory rounds are good? I've got a Parker hale safari deluxe which I currently use for foxing with hornandy vmax 58gr rounds, I've got a couple of boxes of hornandy 100gr and some federal power shok 100gr? Any info is much appreciated

    cheers

    Nick
    Nice to see the old parker hales "still doin it!" I have two 1200's. The geco 105 grain groups an inch at 100yds in the .243 and federal soft points touching groups in the 30.06. But I use homeloads more than anything. Nick.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Colesco View Post
    Cheers guys, I do have a box of PPU but in 90gr would they be sufficient for roe and fallow?

    Plenty sufficient, for the roe anyhow I use 85g BTHP have done for years!! Drops them pretty hard.

    M

  8. #8
    95 Grain Hornady Superformance shoots well from BDS Savage Rifles so may be worth a look unless you intend to pursue larger Deer in Scotland.

    Yorkie.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-06-2015, 15:14
  2. Factory ammo for .243
    By jackfish in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 15-01-2013, 00:53
  3. which factory ammo for 243?
    By r judd in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13-04-2012, 10:52
  4. factory ammo .243
    By Chris S in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 11:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •