Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A strange old evening!

A strange old evening!

For various reasons I've not been stalking for just over 2 years but managed to get out this evening with the hope of shooting something other than paper. Two things were missing from my routine of the last 25+years--- 1st was a 4WD vehicle, my last Jimny was replaced in December by a Fiesta and 2nd was a dog!! My last dog, Molly, sadly took her last trip in the car at the end of February and will not be replaced in the foreseeable future.
    Stalking without a dog for the first time in over 25 years is a strange feeling but I decided to go as one of my farmers had mentioned seeing more roe than we consider normal for his land. I scanned some land on my way to the farm and saw 3 roe on the neighbouring farm but as the wind was wrong, I continued to my original destination. I carefully made my way to the area that had been holding deer and saw a doe ambling away from the small wooded area that the farmer had mentioned. All the while I found myself looked down to my left, sad not to see a companion testing the air, giving me feedback, via body language, if a deer was up-wind. Having cleared the small wood I started up the field towards the point where I usually cross the hedge to approach the next area to be stalked. Something twitched in the grass about 50 metres away and through the binos I saw it was a Buck, lying contentedly in the quite long grass. As the buck was skylined I gradually altered my approach until I had a solid hedge as a backstop for a neck shot taken off sticks at approx. 65 metres. The buck kicked a little as it expired but a clean, successful stalk was tempered with sadness not to have a companion to give a slice of liver to. This has been my ritual for the last 25 years with my several stalking companions. Also the liver, heart and kidneys have always been saved and cooked for the dogs. On returning home, I asked my wife for the dish we always used for this purpose which resulted in floods of tears, not having a dog to give these treats to is not easy.
    So-- a strange old evening, successful in one way (Venison soon to be in the freezer) but very sad in another.
    Last edited by downwind; 14-04-2014 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    As the buck was skylined I gradually altered my approach until I had a solid hedge as a backstop for a neck shot taken off sticks at approx. 65 metres.
    Is a 'solid hedge' adequate backstop? This is a genuine question. I am not having a go...

Have you ever seen a Cornish or Devon Hedge?? generally 5-6ft high and similar thickness earth bank with a hedge on top!!!!

For various reasons I've not been stalking for just over 2 years but managed to get out this evening with the hope of shooting something other than paper. Two things were missing from my routine of the last 25+years--- 1st was a 4WD vehicle, my last Jimny was replaced in December by a Fiesta and 2nd was a dog!! My last dog, Molly, sadly took her last trip in the car at the end of February and will not be replaced in the foreseeable future.
    Stalking without a dog for the first time in over 25 years is a strange feeling but I decided to go as one of my pfarmers had mentioned seeing more roe than we consider normal for his land. I scanned some land on my way to the farm and saw 3 roe on the neighbouring farm but as the wind was wrong, I continued to my original destination. I carefully made my way to the area that had been holding deer and saw a doe ambling away from the small wooded area that the farmer had mentioned. All the while I found myself looked down to my left, sad not to see a companion testing the air, giving me feedback, via body language, if a deer was downwind. Having cleared the small wood I started up the field towards the point where I usually cross the hedge to approach the next area to be stalked. Something twitched in the grass about 50 metres away and through the binos I saw it was a Buck, lying contentedly in the quite long grass. As the buck was skylined I gradually altered my approach until I had a solid hedge as a backstop for a neck shot taken off sticks at approx. 65 metres. The buck kicked a little as it expired but a clean, successful stalk was tempered with sadness not to have a companion to give a slice of liver to. This has been my ritual for the last 25 years with my several stalking companions. Also the liver, heart and kidneys have always been saved and cooked for the dogs. On returning home, I asked my wife for the dish we always used for this purpose which resulted in floods of tears, not having a dog to give these treats to is not easy.
    So-- a strange old evening, successful in one way (Venison soon to be in the freezer) but very sad in another.
    It's just not the same stalking without the dog . .
    I'd give up my stalking before giving up my dog.

Why don't you get yourself another?
    Last edited by Cadex; 14-04-2014 at 19:02.

Have you ever seen a Cornish or Devon Hedge?? generally 5-6ft high and similar thickness earth bank with a hedge on top!!!!
    +1 the hedges are huge, atb doug,
    DONT START

Nice write up but puts a lump in your throat
    Kind Regard's
    TS

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    It's just not the same stalking without the dog . .
    I'd give up my stalking before giving up my dog.

Why don't you get yourself another?
    I agree with you Cadex but unfortunately circumstances are such that we cannot have another dog for the next couple of years. I'll not give up stalking but will not enjoy it so much until I have a stalking companion by my side again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1703.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	772.2 KB 
ID:	40646

Great walk stalk and memories for you and a great touching account for us Gaz

lol. thanks for clarifying. Oh, and well done on getting back stalking!