Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing a Nightforce Scope from the USA

Importing a Nightforce Scope from the USA

Hi,

I just contacted an American based Nightforce dealer to ask what the process would be to import a Nightforce scope. This is the response I have had.

Nightforce has a company policy that prohibits export of new Nightforce products. We encourage you to buy Nightforce from your countries authorized distribution and would refer you to Nightforce USA for help @ 800 732 9824. If you want us to ship to a US address we are happy to do so provided that we can comply with US government regulation.
    Thanks,
    Eric

Has anyone else got personal experience of importing a Nightforce scope from USA? Which company did they approach? If you would rather PM me your response that would be understandable.

Cheers

yep you need a dealer with an export license and there arnt many. I tried to get a 2.5-10x42 over but it was near on impossible your better speaking to a dealer here that imports them ie sportsman, lantern tactical or optics warehouse hold a good stock and have superb customer service i gave up in the end and just bought another zeiss with asv glad i did

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    yep you need a dealer with an export license and there arnt many. I tried to get a 2.5-10x42 over but it was near on impossible your better speaking to a dealer here that imports them ie sportsman, lantern tactical or optics warehouse hold a good stock and have superb customer service i gave up in the end and just bought another zeiss with asv glad i did
    I believe what the supplier told me was due to the fact that Nightforce dictate that their USA dealers that they cannot export to other countries, as in his reply he said NEW products.

Whether this is similar or not, I work for a large American company and our office in USA sells the same product for 20,30 or even 40% less than we do in Europe!!! Our office in USA is supposed to encourage their distributors not to sell out of their region. Reason is, so the distributors in other counties do not get priced out of the embargo. Otherwise our American office would get all the high value deals, most companies if they could be bothered could import from USA cheaper than they can buy in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by 270Buck View Post
    I believe what the supplier told me was due to the fact that Nightforce dictate that their USA dealers that they cannot export to other countries, as in his reply he said NEW products.

Whether this is similar or not, I work for a large American company and our office in USA sells the same product for 20,30 or even 40% less than we do in Europe!!! Our office in USA is supposed to encourage their distributors not to sell out of their region. Reason is, so the distributors in other counties do not get priced out of the embargo. Otherwise our American office would get all the high value deals, most companies if they could be bothered could import from USA cheaper than they can buy in the UK.

Ah, good old "Grey Importing" - the way my companies have stopped it is by witholding any local support...

I looked at importing a Sightron scope from the US, but you have to add approx 26% on top of the combined cost of the scope and shipping to get to your legit import price. Once you have worked out if that still has value for you, then look at the support... You will need an export/import licence to get the scope back to the US to be fixed, then to get it back here.

I phoned AIM, and they split the difference on the UK/US costs (it worked out about £30 more for me to buy here) AND I got a legit UK warranty.

What seems cheap in $USD sometimes isn't once you've factored all that in.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

getting anything firearm related now from the us is hard work due to ITAR regulations, i was trying to get a pic rail for one of my rifles and failed due to export certs etc
    it's not down to embargos simply ITAR
    a barony original

I know a feller that gets his Leupold scopes from this site http://www.nisupplyonline.com/ and he says he saves a worthwhile bit of money. But their range is limited and doesn't include Nightvision, so I guess it must be possible.

try opticsplanet I've had a few from them they are very good regarding law and exporting from USA and they do know that a rifle scope is basically one half of a pair of binoculars and use that logics when sending scopes to Britain however the heavy tax you will have to pay on arrival almost makes it not worth it now, you better of getting a cheap flight to a major city walking into cabelas or pro bass shop stocking up on gear and flying home

Don't forget to add the sales tax you'll pay walking into a retail store in the US (which varies but is typically 6-7%). On the other hand, if you're in the US, just have Optics Plantet ship to your hotel. If you keep an eye out they're almost always running a coupon code for 5-10% off as well. That adds up to a susbstantial discount on something like a Nightforce scope.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerDucksFishin View Post
    try opticsplanet I've had a few from them they are very good regarding law and exporting from USA and they do know that a rifle scope is basically one half of a pair of binoculars and use that logics when sending scopes to Britain however the heavy tax you will have to pay on arrival almost makes it not worth it now, you better of getting a cheap flight to a major city walking into cabelas or pro bass shop stocking up on gear and flying home

The only real problem comes when the object you want to purchase is also one contracted to the US Government. And then is doesn't matter if it's a tooth pick, it can't be exported. If it's not covered under that clause, and isn't military grade gun parts, or bits that go bang, (or otherwise restricted) anyone in the US can forward it to you. I don't know of any US agency that uses Night Force scopes. The Army uses US Optics and the Marines, Schmidt and Bender....but I'm not sure about the rest.~Muir

Muir,

Where did you hear the Army uses US Optics? Alhough some may have been acquired by some SMU (Special Mission Units) for evaluation they are not common nor liked accorind to my contacts. They were the ones that made a limited number of scopes in the mid-to late 1990s for Armalite that were crap. The gun writers all like them but of course they get selected versions. I wouldn't go near one unless I could get it for the cost of a Bushnell.

SS