wanted help to calculate if deer legal

jimmy milnes

Hi all.
could someone please give me the formula for working out if a rifle is deer legal should I know the mv and the bullet weight.
Kind regards
Jimmy

Hi all.
could someone please give me the formula for working out if a rifle is deer legal should I know the mv and the bullet weight.
Kind regards
Jimmy

What calibre? If a factory loading in that calibre meets the minimum legal requirements of diametre and energy thats all you need to know.

Ian.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. Basically what it is, I have an 18in barrel 6.5/47 that I shoot 100grain bullet with and I was thinking of using something heavier but due to the loss of mv caused by my stubby barrel I wanted to work thing out to stay on the right side of plod.
Regards
Jimmy

Thanks for the help guys. Basically what it is, I have an 18in barrel 6.5/47 that I shoot 100grain bullet with and I was thinking of using something heavier but due to the loss of mv caused by my stubby barrel I wanted to work thing out to stay on the right side of plod.
Regards
Jimmy

Jimmy 6.5x47 with a 100g bullet or more will easily be okay, the police have neither the time or the resources to go about examining bullets retrieved from shot beasts or chronographing your handloads to see if they meet minimum specs, factory ballistic data tells them all they need to know.

Ian.

Thanks but like I said I was wanting to go heavier and slow things down so I get less hydro damage, I was thinking of chronographing some 140 out of my stubby tube then trying to work it out.
get ya point regards police resources but just for my own piece of mind and all that, plus I just like to know for knowing sake.
Regards
Jimmy
Jimmy 6.5x47 with a 100g bullet or more will easily be okay, the police have neither the time or the resources to go about examining bullets retrieved from shot beasts or chronographing your handloads to see if they meet minimum specs, factory ballistic data tells them all they need to know.

Ian.

What calibre? If a factory loading in that calibre meets the minimum legal requirements of diametre and energy thats all you need to know.

Ian.

Ian I am surprised that the Scots boys haven't jumped on you yet, you forgot to mention the minimum velocity requirements north of the border.:doh:

Not tried 140gr bullets; but to give you an idea, with 123gr bullets you should see around 2600-2650fps in a 19in barrel or 2700-2750fps in a 21in barrel

Not tried 140gr bullets; but to give you an idea, with 123gr bullets you should see around 2600-2650fps in a 19in barrel or 2700-2750fps in a 21in barrel
thanks currently im on 3047 with a 100 grain ttsx using N150, think imjust going to get a box of 140somethings and have a play.
Regards
Jimmy

Back