Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 fast rounds and barrel life ?

.243 fast rounds and barrel life ?

Thinking of using my .243 for foxing using factory Winchester 55grain ballistic silver tips @3910fps. I know fast rounds will shorten barrel life but on an average week i shoot 5-10 rounds for foxing and 9 times out of 10 its a single shot on a cold barrel i will probably shoot 20-30 100grain rounds a year for deer. On this basis would i risk shooting out my barrel much quicker . cheers Shaun

I'm going to do the same thing get them going as fast li can not worried about barrel life.

I wouldn't worry about barrel life with the amount of shots you will be putting down the tube annually. And more importantly , the fact your not shooting strings - or target shooting.

You will get years of service - Go have fun.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by sir-slots-alot View Post
    I wouldn't worry about barrel life with the amount of shots you will be putting down the tube annually. And more importantly , the fact your not shooting strings - or target shooting.

You will get years of service - Go have fun.

Alan
    Cheers Alan will do, I see you haven't uploaded any vids on you tube for a while.

Out of curiosity, how have you found those Winchester rounds. I bought a box and put them through my tikka t3 lite stainless. Couldn't believe the accuracy / grouping. I have tried various 100grain rounds and not had any luck with finding a decent round and really tight groupings. What are you using or tried. How long does a barrel last ? Is there a shot life. Fairly new to all this as you may have guessed. Cheers Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewkenyon View Post
    How long does a barrel last ? Is there a shot life. Fairly new to all this as you may have guessed. Cheers Matt.
    Somebody on here posted a barrel lasts about six seconds, he was probably correct.
    Cheers
    Richard

Six seconds? Do you mean as in how many rounds would be fired through the barrel if it was continuous for six seconds. I don't suppose you know a rough round count. How would you know when your barrel is close to the end. Would accuracy drop off , would it be visibly obvious ? Cheers Matt

This is the calculation, say 3000fps times 12 gives 36000 inches per second divide by barrel length, say 24 inches gives 1500 round per second. All a bit academic and probably has no relevance to barrel life or accuracy. Heat kills barrel not velocity and long strings of shots which get the barrel very hot are not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewkenyon View Post
    Out of curiosity, how have you found those Winchester rounds. I bought a box and put them through my tikka t3 lite stainless. Couldn't believe the accuracy / grouping. I have tried various 100grain rounds and not had any luck with finding a decent round and really tight groupings. What are you using or tried. How long does a barrel last ? Is there a shot life. Fairly new to all this as you may have guessed. Cheers Matt.
    I got a box of these to try in my Tikka T3 SV and after 5 rounds my conclusion was that my 20b groups tighter. I've gone back to using the the Hornady 58grn VMax, which are consistently under 1 MOA through my rifle.

For 100grn the only factory loads I've found that will group consistently well are Sako Gamehead 100gr.

Cheers
    James

I can almost garentee you will change that rifle before you shoot it out at that rate of shooting. You will use at least the cost of the rifle in ammunition to burn it out