Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a budget high seat, any thoughts on these?

Looking for a budget high seat, any thoughts on these?

As per title, looking to get a high seat for our little woodland and want to keep the costs down. Found these two on Askari that look promising. This is folding and portable but only 3m high

http://www.askari-hunting.co.uk/__We...il.jsf?reset=0

This one is higher (5m) but doesn't look as sturdy though is very cheap

any thoughts from those experienced in these things, or alternatives that aren't 3 times the price?

I am not experienced but I have been looking at solutions for a new wood with my father. He bought a seat without much research. (he's very impulsive shopper) and bought a 2 man off eBay I think in the region of £200.
    if it had been me, I would have bought a second hand scaffold tower for £50 and a camo net and some planks.

I think you may need to explain to readers your requirements.

Do you need it high? I am told deer do not look up as they have no,predators from above so as long as you are above head height you are ok.
    if your land is flat with little back stop you may want extra height to give you a wider scope of safe shots?
    does it need to be portable?
    do you need to remove the lower section either to prevent access to it from walkers etc, or if in a field of cows they will rub against it and break it.

Things to get the ball rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    As per title, looking to get a high seat for our little woodland and want to keep the costs down. Found these two on Askari that look promising. This is folding and portable but only 3m high

This one is higher (5m) but doesn't look as sturdy though is very cheap

any thoughts from those experienced in these things, or alternatives that aren't 3 times the price?

Yip they are ok for what they are priced at. No frills decent enough seat, although not plush.

M

i have the folding one, it is 3m to shooting rail and not seat height. i waited for their 20% off deals good enough quality for the money. not supplied with side rails but i made some myself with alu tube off cuts. if needed i would buy another. not tried the fixed leantoo..5m thats high a real crows nest. sb

The lack of side rails seems a drawback for me, a solid rest all round would make better sense, this may not be an issue to you depending on where it's going etc. (or if you are happy to modify it yourself)

Don't like them as you can only shoot to the front, (as previously stated no side rails). I make all my own, wood will be about £50 and takes two hours to make. Sometimes deer do look up at the seat but all you need to do is keep still wait till they are looking away from you and then move.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

I'd go for the 1st one just on looks (seem to have more in the hand)..... 5 meters is a looooooooooooooong way down. Brand makes no difference, but I weigh 110 kg and used a portable stand about like the 1st one rated at 150kg max once last fall. That won't be happening again unless I find something with 200+ kg max load. If heights don't bother you, should be fine. If you don't have to move it around, a euro pallet and a few 2x4's will make you something bombproof that you can hang a net around and be comfortable. Good luck.

Making your own seats out of timber saves money and makes them less likely to be stolen, as they're a lot less portable, for one thing! But if you do build your own, get some instructions from an experienced and reliable source and please don't "cut any corners". Rungs that are slippery with algae, or that come away in your hand, or legs that give way from rot, will all spoil your day.

Also, using a lightweight metal seat makes it much easier to move the seat if you decide there's a better position for it.

The Askari seats are an excellent price. The folder is the same as the X3M1 design, and the fixed seat is the same as a Seeland Hercules, I think. I have seats very similar to these in each case.

As regards height. My general view is "the taller the better", although it obviously depends on the terrain (putting yourself up among the leaves and branches will clearly not help you to see more), and the available trees (my ground has a lot of old oaks that offer few places to rest a seat higher up, and my tallest seats are on a couple of ash trees that just happen to be in the right place - to put those seats anywhere else I'd have to take a leg section out!). It is one of the advantages of those extra-lightweight telescopic seats that they can be set to the height required. I don't think there's anything better when the primary activity is scouting/experimentation with seat location.

With any seat it is vital to take the consequences of a fall into account. A 2m fall can kill, so extra height is less significant than security in the first place. Fall-arrest harnesses and tethers are available and advisable, but it's all too easy to see them as an unwelcome hindrance. If you decide to do without them, it's clearly important to take great care when using the seat. The moments of greatest risk come when turning at the top of the latter, either on arrival or on departure, so never rush these. And always climb with bot hands free, using a "rucksack" sling - so the rifle can't slip off your shoulder-, or using a lngth of paracord and a carabiner to pull your gear up once you're in place.

Once in the seat it is unlikely you will fall out past the rail, but as has been said, the Askari seats lack a proper side rail. The location of the seat will determine the extent to which this is a drawback. Where I have mine, the ranges are so short and the angles so steep that having a side rail would be a disadvantage, but if shots are going to be longer than you're happy shooting without more positive support then I'm sure you can find members on here who can make you the extra bits you may need (for instance, Mereside has kindly offered to help me out in a similar matter in the past).

You may also need some additional ratchet straps to secure the seat. Many seats are supplied with just one strap, that is also too short for trees of any girth. Longer straps can be easily found online, but an extra strap is strongly recommended for safety when erecting the seat: fix the first strap onto the ladder and pass it around the tree as high as you can reach; tighten it just firmly enough to keep the ladder in place while you climb the ladder and attach the primary strap. Once this strap has been cinched up tight you can remover the first one and set it aside for next time. A length of rope or paracord can be used too, of course, but I find a ratchet strap quicker and easier.

Sorry if this was more info than you wanted, but hopefully some of it will be of use.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 16-04-2014 at 07:13.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

funny I was just trolling Ebay about this exact subject lol

high seat in Hunting | eBay

Also consider a good heavy solid padlock and chain to stop it going walkies in the night it might sound daft but these things do disappear quickly if not chained up