Thread: Partridge - Getting Started

Partridge - Getting Started

Looking for a good book on raising Partridge for a shoot.

There is already a pheasant shoot on the farm but we'd like to put down some (probably 150-200) Partridge to add a little bit of variation.

Can anyone recommend a good read that will help us get started.

Are you talking Red-Legs here R.T ?

Don't know of any modern books but if you want a chat I'll PM you my mobile number?

If you've raised pheasants partridge are a breeze they actually want to live !!,not worth putting down less than 4/5oo or your returns will be well poor ,do 400 in a 8x10 shed +night shelter no bother . I have some Los game conservancy papers if they are of use .Norma

If you've raised pheasants partridge are a breeze they actually want to live !!,not worth putting down less than 4/5oo or your returns will be well poor ,do 400 in a 8x10 shed +night shelter no bother . I have some old game conservancy papers if they are of use .Norma

Norma is quite correct in saying that.After pheasant rearing I moved onto partridge and really loved the job

Next to grouse they are a fantastic sporting bird. As the guys have said they actually want to live and if you have the habitat right should hold fairly well. If you are buying in birds buy fully grown birds. Release them from the pens fairly quickly but in small lots. If you have say 500 release 100 after two or three days, leave it a day and release another 100 and so on. Some keepers like to retain a few as call birds but I have never seen any advantage in this. Getting the birds in early August allows you to start shooting October. Partridges are far smarter than pheasants. You want to make your bag early in the season as they become very wary and can be difficult to direct into guns. Good quick guns and you can have a cracking day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Partridges are far smarter than pheasants. ........ and can be difficult to direct into guns.
    +1 I know nothing about rearing and keeping them, but have some limited experience of beating on mixed pheasant/partridge shoots. You can spend a great deal of time, rounding 'em up and herding 'em out and then a misplaced face over a hedge, a rather forward spaniel or an inopportune crack of a flag and they're gone - all the wrong way. However, if/when you get it right they afford some really challenging shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    If you've raised pheasants partridge are a breeze they actually want to live !!,not worth putting down less than 4/5oo or your returns will be well poor ,do 400 in a 8x10 shed +night shelter no bother . I have some Los game conservancy papers if they are of use .Norma
    rst lot of chicks here in 3 bloody weks

amen to that one brother my fi
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Thanks guys.

Perdix - a chat sounds good. If you can PM me your number I'll give you a call.

Norma 308 - do you have a photo of a shelter you could PM me or put up on here?

Yes mate pm me yr address I'll send you the game conservancy papers which is the old book they used to produce .
    regards Norma