how to justify a 308 when i own a 6.5 ?

6.5rem700

Hi all
i own and use a 6.5x55 for stalking [muntjac,roe and fallow] and would also like a 308 for stalking when i go to scotland
i know my swede will do the job on reds no prob ,but how would i justify this to my local FLO as i wouldn't want to get rid
of the swede for the 308 [one for one]
any advice welcome
thanks

You simply want a spare rifle in a deer calibre as simple as that. After all many shooters have a second or even third/ fourth etc etc deer rifle.
Having been caught out myself in the past by a broken scope mount if I travel some distance for my sport I always take a spare rifle. Also a .308w will allow you to practise more as cheap ex-military ammo is available in this calibre and .30 calibre components are more readily available.

Last edited:
You simply want a spare rifle in a deer calibre as simple as that. After all many shooters have a second or even third/ fourth etc etc deer rifle.
Having been caught out myself in the past by a broken scope mount if I travel some distance for my sport I always take a spare rifle.

well that never entered my head thanks 8x57 ,keep the advice coming lads

Hi all
i own and use a 6.5x55 for stalking [muntjac,roe and fallow] and would also like a 308 for stalking when i go to scotland
i know my swede will do the job on reds no prob ,but how would i justify this to my local FLO as i wouldn't want to get rid
of the swede for the 308 [one for one]
any advice welcome
thanks
You require a different gun for hill stalking and woodland stalking etc

You require a different gun for hill stalking and woodland stalking etc

One rifle has a scope for woodland stalking, the other has a scope for open hill stalking. One is set up for traditional lead based expanding ammunition, the .308 is set up for Barnes 150gr expanding copper bullets (Federal). The .308 can be used to dip your toe in the water at club level for FTR, which is what I plan to do.

Regards

JCS

Last edited:
dead easy to fill in to, unless like me you not sure what to put in for? no worries it will come to me in a dream,

As already said. You only need good reason to hold a rifle. Deer stalking is good reason, end of. It doesn't matter that you already have one rifle that could do this. It is only a good reason that is needed. I have 6.5x55 and .308. If you really must give further justification you need a spare and you intend (at some point) to shoot boar. Home office guidlines say min of .270 for this which. So good reason for the .308.

Back