Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Antis Turn on Cyclists!

Antis Turn on Cyclists!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...s-in-road.html

Yet another example of those who don't agree with something spoiling it for those that do. To be honest, I expect that a cycling event has an effect in that it can slow motorists down, but really it's just selfish behaviour and it seems to be getting ever more prevalent. Where is society going wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post

Yet another example of those who don't agree with something spoiling it for those that do. To be honest, I expect that a cycling event has an effect in that it can slow motorists down, but really it's just selfish behaviour and it seems to be getting ever more prevalent. Where is society going wrong?
    That's overcrowding for you.

time for another big war. Thin us out maybe. (Said tongue in cheek for those who have a leaning to take things literally, I don't want one really).

IMHO 4000 bolshy spandex ninjas (cyclists) in one area at the same time is far too many - that is selfish - especially if it is under-policed & they ride in mobs as they do. Once a year may be acceptable but doing it repeatedly is wrong.
    It appears that their actions in the past have been the trigger for such a response. Cause & affect, lack of communication & consideration spring to mind.
    Time to slap asbos on 'em all - cyclists & pin chuckers too!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post

Well I could point out a few areas but would only get deleted or banned so what's the point.

We have similar problem with selfish runners who expect every one to stop so they don't have to break their stride and walking or running out in front of the car it's your fault for coming along the road and they just walk out or run out of a side road. Most are not even looking where they are going we see they with eys shut in grimmace an they run straight towrsd the oncoming car.

Drivers MUST obey the law and highway code but not these runners. It's about the same when they do the cycle rides races through here. Everyone is expected to get out of their way. Funnily enough putting on a yellow vest with marshal on it does not make one immune to the law and highway code and if one just walks out in front of oncoming vehicles then it's still jay walking and if the cause an accident then must surely be liable. God help anyone who needs an ambulance of the fire brigade as they simply could not get there due tot eh roads being clogged and you can bet your bottom dollar that the runners/cyclists won't give way.

Two years ago, there was a cycling event that was routed along the track that leads to our small holding. A cyclist fell off his bike and as my daughter was driving from the holding she stopped to help. Along came another five or so cyclists, who abused her for so called "Driving him off the track". She received a grumbled apology when the injured cyclist explained. She replied that she would never help a cyclist again. She complained to the organisers and received an apology but the damage was done.

They should have to pay VED tax like every other road using vehicle, with a vintage bike exemption of course.

Deerpath - my thoughts normally go even further:

Mandatory helmet law
    Numberplate and all bicycles to be registered
    MOT requirement
    Minimum third party insurance
    Upon proof of these and payemnt of a fee a mandatory 'road fund licence' should be issued
    Testing and licensing required to show an acceptable minimum understanding of how to cycle safely
    Hefty fines and points for flouting the law (red lights etc)

Thry would then be on an equal footing with other road users

Quote Originally Posted by procee View Post
    Deerpath - my thoughts normally go even further:

Mandatory helmet law
    Numberplate and all bicycles to be registered
    MOT requirement
    Minimum third party insurance
    Upon proof of these and payemnt of a fee a mandatory 'road fund licence' should be issued
    Testing and licensing required to show an acceptable minimum understanding of how to cycle safely
    Hefty fines and points for flouting the law (red lights etc)

Thry would then be on an equal footing with other road users
    I have to on my motorcycle so why not indeed.
    Some of these lads do go nearly or as fast as a twist and go afterall

This is one of my major pet hates - not sure where in aberdeen you live procee but I travel the Westhill to echt road regularly and the cycling club there are completely out of order - they cone off three foot wide by 60ft long sections at the side of the road to start the bikes off, there are also bikes on the outside of this and on the other side of the road so basically no room to get through - also they are in big groups three abreast making it difficult and dangerous for cars passing.

Total idiots - and all this is done on a national speed limit road with umpteen blind corners, why the hell dont they use the multi million pound cycle path they installed between westhill and kingswells!!

I personally take great delight in moving them from the gateways and entrances they obstruct with a horn blast!

Regards,

Gixer