Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 Bolt crisis

Tikka T3 Bolt crisis

After an outing this morning i have come home to find no bolt in its normal place in my crate of kit. As per normal i separated the bolt from the rifle and sleeved the rifle in the body of the car and then put the bolt into a compartment of a bread crate i use to keep my kit squared away. All out of sight and no holes.

I arrived home and tried to find the bolt to secure it away and i cannot find it. I have torn the car to bits, emptied everything out and taken the garage apart in case it slipped out of my crate as i moved it out of the car before putting it away.

Long and short of it is i suspect i am staring down a hefty bill to replace the bolt. It is a Tikka T3 hunter in .270 any advice please? Are these difficult to get hold of "made to order etc"... i suppose too long a shot for someone to have run over the barrel and has a spare bolt they want to shift????

Not saying you loosing the plot or anything.. would it not be worth a trip back
    to you stalking ground to retrace your steps. As your bolt can't just have
    disappeared into thin air. !

Rgds, Buck
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Agreed, sadly the only place where it may have dropped out of the back of the car is on a bit of ground nearly 2 hours away that i know has many very heavy bits of military metal thundering along it. I hope i have time tomorrow but wanted to prepare myself for the worst case....

moral of the story is ............... dont remove your bolt from your rifle !

Lost my bolt once , never lost it again because it now never leaves my rifle !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    moral of the story is ............... dont remove your bolt from your rifle !

Lost my bolt once , never lost it again because it now never leaves my rifle !
    Can a replacement be purchased with no fuss or, does the firearms dept have to be told it's lost and cert. produced to buy the new one? Andrew.

Can you just buy a new bolt without it being recorded on your certificate? I'm thinking you cant as it's a major part of the action, Is not the sort of thing you have to tell the rozzers about without delay????

I think you will need to inform your FEO as it is an integral part of a firearm. Then order a new one. I have the same rifle in 270 and always keep the bolt in a bolt holder and on my belt. Good luck with it.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Indeed. Bolt is either in the rifle, or in a secure bolt holder on my belt. I know this isn't very handy advice now, but it might help someone else reading this later. I've just heard way too many stories of people losing bolts, or arriving at their stalking ground having left their bolt at home when they store it away from the rifle.

Good luck sorting it out and I really hope you find it undamaged when you go back to look.

happens all the time
    will not separate mine as a result

you will need to order another one and you will probably also have to have it checked over by a competent gunsmith as depending on bolts you may have a headspace issue

Tricky to replace as it is a proofed part. You may also need to get the rifle headspaced by a gunsmith.

I would be in the car now going back to where I lost it personally. Best of luck.
    Last edited by long_range_rob; 16-04-2014 at 08:48.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.