Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Quick Release Weaver Rings?

Which Quick Release Weaver Rings?

Hi all,

I'm after some new quick release weaver rings to fit the picatinny rail on my rifle and am just looking for some advice.

I have seen the Leupold QRW Rings which claim they return within a half-inch of the original point of impact. Do these work well or are there any others I should look at?

Regards,
    SS
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

Quote Originally Posted by Southdowns_stalking View Post
    Hi all,

I'm after some new quick release weaver rings to fit the picatinny rail on my rifle and am just looking for some advice.

I have seen the Leupold QRW Rings which claim they return within a half-inch of the original point of impact. Do these work well or are there any others I should look at?

Regards,
    SS
    I use them. They hold my sightron onto my long range gun, I'd say they are better than 1/2" return to zero. Certainly close enough to not worry about checking the zero each time.

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I used the Warne QR mounts on my Styre and they were always spot on when replaced.
    I used them with my modular Styre Luxus and always packed them taken off when travelling.
    I didn't miss any pigs I aimed at when put back on !!

Just at the bottom of the page:

Q r mounts

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I used the Warne QR mounts on my Styre and they were always spot on when replaced.
    I used them with my modular Styre Luxus and always packed them taken off when travelling.
    I didn't miss any pigs I aimed at when put back on !!
    Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    I use them. They hold my sightron onto my long range gun, I'd say they are better than 1/2" return to zero. Certainly close enough to not worry about checking the zero each time.

Pete
    Cheers lads, that's good to know. Will have a look into the Warne QR mounts also....
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
    Just at the bottom of the page:

Q r mounts
    Cheers, I was on the phone a did a search but this did not pop up....

Do you have a proper picatinny spec rail - i think that from what I recall a few years back when I made a similar mistake; picatinny rings will fit a weaver rail but weaver rings wont fit a picatinny rail.

Quote Originally Posted by jordang View Post
    Do you have a proper picatinny spec rail - i think that from what I recall a few years back when I made a similar mistake; picatinny rings will fit a weaver rail but weaver rings wont fit a picatinny rail.
    Other way around. Weaver rails have narrower slots so piccatinny mounts won't fit, but, not always, there is one standard for proper mil spec piccatinny rails, but weaver can be several.

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Yes i have a picatinny rail that is bolted straight to the rifle. I have ordered the Warne Maxima QD rings so i hope they will fit.... will find out tuesday!

Just to set the record straight, the Leupold Mark IV and their QR-W (Quick Release - Weaver) bases are not exactly the same as the Picatinney but fairly close. The Picatinney standard was developed by Dick Swan (Owner of ARMS) and in turn adopted by the military at Picatinney arsenal as a standard, this was after the Leupold Mark IV (then called the ULTRA mounts) were adopted by the Army as part of the M24 Sniper Weapon System. I have over the years used the Mark IV and Picatinney bases with the QR-W rings without issues but I have never seen either Mark IV or QR-W rings properly fit Weaver bases. Slot size and spacing on the Leupold base is not the same as the Picatinney either. If you have a scope mounted to a Leupold one-piece base and try to move it to a Picatinney base one of the rings will need to be repositioned on the scope tube to allow the recoil lug to align with the slot. Recently I bought a set of Brownells brand "Picatinney Spec" rings for a Remington with a Mark 4 base on it. The crossbolts were too wide to drop into the slots so I had to mill a bit off of the sides to get them to work. In the end I would recommend buying sets rather than mix and match.

SS